Thread: Full sunlight?

Default Full sunlight?

As I have said many times, I plan on starting my beekeeping hobby next spring. I have decided on all 8 frame mediums, I have found a couple local beeks to buy nuc's from and I am researching where to buy my basic supplies. I have another question. I want to put the hive in the back corner of my yard. The problem with that location is it is shaded by an oak tree. How important is full sunlight? Somethings I have read make a big point of this. I would like to get input based on personal experience.

Default Re: Full sunlight?

I have two small bee yards. One is at my house and it is shaded all but about an hour a day. The other is in full sun all day. The only difference I have noticed in my shaded yard, is those hives are prone to catch nosema in the late summer. I don't know if it is because nosema grows in the shade more or the shade stresses the bees and makes them more susceptible to the disease. Going into late summer I had two hives and two nucs in the shade. I treated the hives for nosema in early August and they've done fine. The nucs never took enough of the treatment to protect them. I've moved one very sick nuc to the other yard in full sun and will see if that helps.

Aside from this one issue, I haven't noticed a difference.

Best wishes.

My first hive went in deep shade under my huge elm tree on March 2nd 2011, on the advice of the beek I got the hive from. At the end of July all bees had flown or died, wax moth larva and pupae everywhere, a few shb, slimed. I swapped her her cleaned eqpt for another hive with bees (no honey, almost no comb). I set up in full sun, built a screened vent to help with the heat, and have been fighting off robbers for a month due to the dearth and drought. But no shb, very occasionally a moth gets in and lives long enough to lay a couple of eggs. Moths do not like hot sun, I gather shb don't either. And strangely enough, I went from an initial mite drop of over 100, powdered sugared a couple of times, and my last 24 hr mite drop was either zero or part of a mite shell (that could also have been part of another bug.) I'm thinking mites don't like dry heat either.

For what it's worth, I'd go with the perimeter of your oak tree so you get at least half a day's full sun on the bees. I started there with hive 2, and moved them to more sun about 2 weeks later.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Morning sun is the most important factor in warming the hive early so they get out and start foraging.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

My favorite place to get supers is Rossman in GA.I prefer the cyprus wood they use. I have hives is full sun and partial shade. Both locations have equal numbers of SHBs. The ones in full sun seem to be more active for some reason. I'm a new beek too. Welcome aboard.

i prefer full sun, less problems more production