Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

feeding for winter

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  2moos 
#1 ·
has anyone tried feeding raw sugar in a tb ?

#2 ·
Hey there, 2Moos. Welcome.

I have not tried it yet myself. I had lots of honey in the hive last year and will again this year, so needing to feed sugar is unlikely. I have imagined that if I were to feed raw sugar, I would just pour it on the bottom at the back of the hive - just pull the follower to give space and pour some in there - then likely spray a little water on it.

I'll be interested to hear if others have experience trying it.

Adam

#6 ·
yes well i made a box the same shape as my following board that will hold 5 pounds of processed sugar, and i'll put that in front of my following board. i drilled holes in the front side at a 45 degees angel with a half inch drilled so the sugar doesn't fall out and the bees can get in and out. i'm going to try it this winter to see if it works.i also drilled a 1" hole in the top so i can fill it and plug it with a cork.

#7 ·
That sounds like a nice-sized feeder. It should be easy for the bees to access as well as provide insulation when full : ).

To clarify-when I said not processed, I meant less processed. In my area there is a brand of sugar called "raw sugar" which is dehydrated cane juice so it still has the molasses in it, and it also has a fairly large crystal compared to white sugar. The molasses is what the bees have a harder time digesting. Sorry for the confusion.

Debbie in MD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.