Default MAQ versus plain Formic Treatment

We were trying to decide on a different mite treatment this fall after this last little honey spinning. We were looking at the MAQ treatment that has been on the market a little while and were wondering if anyone could tell us the difference between it and just soaking some meat pads with the appropriate concentration of Formic Acid. It seems like it would be a great deal more economical to go the "Do it yourself" route than MAQ. But then again we do not really know... maybe there is something special about MAQ that we do not know. I can see that the MAQ method would take going around to all the hives twice whereas the formic would require 3 trips. The best I can tell we could only treat about 36 hives for $150... that is one bucket. And we would need quite a few buckets. Just don't think we can afford it.

We are actually thinking of soaking shop rags... you know.. the blue things instead of mead pads... any opinion on doing that?

Default Re: MAQ versus plain Formic Treatment

I think most of the patent applications are an attempt to control the release rate. My son is using the bulk formic acid on paper towel inside a ziplock bag with a small slit; no obvious dead bees after the first go. Lots of different ways and each one depends on the temperature and how much you use and how you close up the hive. We will be doing a sugar shake to count the mite drop after each treatment.

I sure would like to hear the results of the ziplock method!!

Here is a link to an informative site on formic acid basics and some home brew methods. There are some rule of thumb evaporation rates per day either here or similar articles. Your temperature dictates whether you pin prick a few times or make a slit.

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Han...n%2011%20Y.pdf

edit; forgot to paste link!

Thank you. I have not seen that PDF before, although I have heard of Ruziecki. It looks good, better go read it more thoroughly.

It is easy to miss the whole bottom part of that web site and it perhaps take a bit of getting the feel to vary his methods for local conditions. I dont know how expensive these mite gone pads are but I have the feeling your local butcher could supply you with a workable blotter like they put in the bottom of every prepackaged meat tray.

We are doing the meat pads now. We have been told 3 times for trachea mites and 5x for varroa...every 5-7 days. I have to say, yes it is cheaper but it is also time consuming. I mean 5 trips, three of those trips will require me to remove the 2.5 gallon feed pail. Each time needs a new pad.
    I did learn that it was easier to pre soak the pads and then let them drip over a queen excluder so no drips in the hive. As well since the bees were crusty and i did not want to use the chem gloves, I dumped the pads in an old mite away 2 pail, added the formic, and them let them soak. To get them out I raided my household tools for a pair of kitchen tongs....That worked great!
    I think i would rather have a stiffer meat pad and place on the bottom board. I know formic is heavier than air, so it would take a bit more. But that might be a trade off instead of openning a hive when they need to seal it up. Just some random thoughts

I think since shop towels are expensive (here they are) it would cost more.

I know the MA2 are unavailable. I think i liked them the best...except for the sticks and the rings.

I did use the shop towels on the bottom board last year...good kill. That was early summer though

Crofter, thanks for the link. I have this booklet somewhere. Could not find it to this morning to start my first attempt at the meat pad treatment. Thank you