Default Getting Zinc Queen Excluders Manufactured

Does anyone know where zinc excluders get manufactured?
    Walter T. Kelley does not carry them in their catalogue any more but they are very useful when supering a multi-compartment beehive with multiple queens. I need an excluder that measures 18" wide x 20" long, wider than that which would fit a standard hive. I'd like to have 500 or 1000 made.
    National Bee Supply in England carries a variety of zinc excluders but the cost is prohibitive.
    I'm putting this thread on the commercial site because I thought I'd have the best chance of reaching someone that knows the answer.

Default Re: Getting Zinc Queen Excluders Manufactured

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Johnston View Post
    Does anyone know where zinc excluders get manufactured?
    I bought some a couple of years ago from one of the beekeeping supply outfits. The box clearly says......Made in .....do I even need to say?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Why would you want zinc? They would be subject to corrosion and more prone to breakage than cut stainless steel (or even aluminum for that matter).

As for short run production, I would look at the possiblity of getting them cut by water jet out of stainless steel sheet.

Given they could be very thin, cut rates would be quite fast. Set-up costs would be just programming the cut paths. For the numbers you are looking for, I would think this would be the most cost effective method of manufacture.

Stamping would be a good way to make them in quantity but on this scale (18" x 20") stamping dies very quickly run into VERY, VERY BIG $$$$!

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I bought some a couple of years ago from one of the beekeeping supply outfits. The box clearly says......Made in .....do I even need to say?
    100% CORRECT

You can order custom sizes in small batch, just search alibaba for a manufacturer.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Paul-These excluders are not 100% zinc but they've always been called zinc queen excluders. It sounds like you're a machinist and know more about metal stuff than I do.
    Bluegrass-I'll check that alibaba connection.
    Thanks

zinc excluders are really tough and will provide several decades of service. we got about 1500 that we use when splitting hives. my great great grandpa had them made in NY some place about 80 years ago. guess i still didnt answer your question though lol
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

We probably have 100-150 left. Call for pricing.
    Thanks,
    WT kelley Co.