Hybrid View

Question Hopguard against varroa and other mites - your experience is requested?

I am an organic gardener. I keep fish mainly organically, very few meds, no additives (except in my reef tank and they are necessary there) I cannot bring myself to order a product I have to wear a breathing mask to use, so that knocks out mite away strips. Apiguard sounds too much like an insecticide, bees are insects, and I've read threads that suggested the queen takes off after treatment. I'm having enough trouble, have had enough trouble.

I found 5 mites on my sticky after my last powdered sugar treatment, which is pretty low. But the bees are low on provisions, I will be feeding, and that is not the same nutrition as real honey and real pollen. So I would like to take them into winter without the mites. I want the BEST treatment to be effective and not harm my bees.
    Dadant of course says Hopguard doesn't make a difference, but they don't sell it either.

So I'm looking for a few product reviews, and I'll bet I'm not the only one wondering. Does it work, how were the bees afterward?

Gypsi
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Default Re: Hopguard against varroa and other mites - your experience is requested?

Gypsi, I was seeing deformed wings in my hive and it is late in the year so I had to pull out the big guns and ordered the MAQS off of Dadant Supply, I am not to concerned about loosing my queen. From what I was reading in the threads it sounded like some of the beekeepers might not have followed the instructions as closely as they should have, or might have misinterpreted them. My bees could have been facing CCD this winter if I don't do something quick, and MAQS sounds like the fast and natural way to go. It will be this weekend before I can get you any feedback on how it went. I hope your bees do well.

Default Re: Hopguard against varroa and other mites - your experience is requested?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    Apiguard sounds too much like an insecticide, bees are insects
    I haven't used hopguard but can tell you that all of the inhive pesticides are insecticides. I think the issue is can they be toxic to mites and have an acceptable toxicity to bees. I am usually cautious about using the newest, 'latest-greatest' compound. I'm choosing to wait until next season to try hopguard. I'd rather someone else determine in their hives if it lives up to the distributor's claims.
    ps I'm using Apiguard and AplifeVar this season.....so far without any significant problems.
    Good luck.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I used MAQS and was impressed with the mite drop. Man, it really did a number on the mites. The hives came through strong with no loss of queens. I would use the product again.

I will check my sticky in the morning and decide whether to treat. I think MAQS is winning.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, guess I will teach permaculture in drought. The bees are still alive.

Hopguard works well on the mites that are on the adult bees. The working life of the strips appears to be short, just a few days, but the nockdown numbers are good. The best time to use Hopguard is when the colony has little sealed brood. This is usually in the early spring or fall. If you have a colony that you make queenless so that there is no brood, and then you treat, you will kill most of the mites in the colony.

Problem with waiting until there is little capped brood, more damage might and will occur. If the loads are high, get er done now. The problem with formic applications, thymol, and i am not sure on the hop guard, but the problem is they are very temperature dependant. IF the mite loads are high and the temps drop below threshold, the treatment will not work. Might get some, but not enough of a knock back to save the hive from further damage.
    When mite loads are above 4% brood damage occurs. This can and WILL affect hive mortality in the late winter and early spring. Damaged bees will not survive the winter. A mite drop of 18 per day will be at the 3% mark. The below link is a good read on varroa.
    If you are above the threshold and live in a colder climate, a harsher treatment might be needed. Winters are hard on bees struggling with varroa.
    Remember, it only takes three weeks for the numbers to double. The problem with that is, when you test, you don't know if you have three weeks before they double or if when you tested you were in the home stretch of those three weeks and the doubling will occur any day. Clear as mud?
    To clarify what i mean...
    If you test today and your test brings a result of 2%, do you still have the three weeks before it jumps to 4%? Or was your test done near the end of the three week cycle, and if you go back and test in a week, will they be at 4%...still clear as mud?

Economic Treshold for Varroa

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I am an organic gardener. I keep fish mainly organically, very few meds, no additives (except in my reef tank and they are necessary there) I cannot bring myself to order a product I have to wear a breathing mask to use, so that knocks out mite away strips. Apiguard sounds too much like an insecticide, bees are insects, and I've read threads that suggested the queen takes off after treatment. I'm having enough trouble, have had enough trouble.

I found 5 mites on my sticky after my last powdered sugar treatment, which is pretty low. But the bees are low on provisions, I will be feeding, and that is not the same nutrition as real honey and real pollen. So I would like to take them into winter without the mites. I want the BEST treatment to be effective and not harm my bees.
    Dadant of course says Hopguard doesn't make a difference, but they don't sell it either.

So I'm looking for a few product reviews, and I'll bet I'm not the only one wondering. Does it work, how were the bees afterward?

Gypsi
    It worked great on the hive I treated. I was getting a natural drop of over 300 mites a day on a stickyboard before treatment. Over 3000 mites dropped the first day after treatment! I waited 10 days and treated again and got another large drop. Within another week, I was only getting a natural drop of 4 or 5 mites a day. The bees didn't seem to mind the treatment at all. This was last October. The hive was split into 3 this spring and all are doing great.