Thread: Wax moths?

Hybrid View

Default Wax moths?

I found a cluster of moth larvae wrapped up in a gauzy mess on one of my bottom boards. They are not in the area where there is wax, they are below my screen on the screened bottom boards. Could they still be wax moths?

Default Re: Wax moths?

yep, eating fallen wax scales. and building up in a place where the bees cannot get them...

OK, so then the next question is, how do I treat that? I have menthol chips for storing unused hive boxes, but how do I treat for moths in boxes the bees are still using??

If they are building on the sticky board below the screen, remove the sticky board and let the debris fall to the ground instead of building up on the sticky board. On your next full inspection remove the hive bodies and scrape the cocoons and webbing off. The bees will control wax moths if the moths are in an area the bees can patrol and keep clean.

Comb in storage is protected with paradichlorobenzene, freezing the combs, or bacillus thuringiensis spray. The empty boxes need only be stacked where light can enter them and wax moths will not build cocoons on them.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Beekeeper View Post
    paradichlorobenzene...or bacillus thuringiensis spray
    Not in the Treatment-Free forum.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

not much you can do in hive except take off shake bees off and freeze, store boxes apart were light and air can get in