Millville, Worcester Co, Massachusetts, USA

Default Wintering in New Engand - Whats your thoughts?

1st. year bee keep here.

I have 2 hives consisting of 2 deeps each w/ screened bottom boards.

My question are:

1) Do you put in a solid panel in under the screen or leave the screen open all winter?
    2) Do you recommend wrapping the hives w/ tar paper?

I have also read in a few posts about reversing the top inner board to allow the ventilation slot to keep an opening above the hive to relieve moisture, and the use of Homasote above the inner panel to soak up any moisture.

What are your thoughts?

I am on the Mass/RI boarder.

Thanks

Steve_G

Default Re: Wintering in New Engand - Whats your thoughts?

I am just a second year beekeeper but I did all three on your list and all of the 3 hives survived. we will see how it goes this year !

Second summer here also. I did none of those three last and had my two make it through their first winter. I did put an empty medium on top and ten pounds of dry sugar a la mountain camp method the weekend of Thanksgiving... MA/NH border.

>1) Do you put in a solid panel in under the screen or leave the screen open all winter?

I do most of the time. Mine are low (3 1/2" off the gorund) and together. so it's not so critical as the wind isn't blowing in too much.

>2) Do you recommend wrapping the hives w/ tar paper?

I don't.

>I have also read in a few posts about reversing the top inner board to allow the ventilation slot to keep an opening above the hive to relieve moisture, and the use of Homasote above the inner panel to soak up any moisture.

I have top entrances only and that handles the moisture fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

BTW, I'm not in New England but I am in NE. But our winters are as cold as Vermont's.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF