Default Feeding fructose corn syrup?

I had a guy suggest I feed fructose to my bees this fall instead of sugar syrup. I thought high fructose corn syrup was bad for bees. He suggested I feed in an open 55 gallon barrel. We have been in a drought this year and my bees will not make it through the winter without some help. Ive never talked to anyone that's fed this. I could use all the help/info you guys could give me.

Default Re: Feeding fructose corn syrup?

I would post this in the commercial section and or go read the previous posts on the subject. I know it has been talked about but I have never done it and can't advise further than that. Sorry for your droughty season.

Being new at this take this with a grain of salt, but
    I started feeding corn syrup a couple weeks ago and they seem to be doing well. A commercial apiarist told me just to make sure the syrup is of high quality. One person that uses it said mix it 2 parts syrup to one part water, another said 2 part water to one part syrup, so I still have to get that straight.
    One person told me to watch for spotting in the hive, an indication that the bees are having digestive problems. If that's a problem then medicate and consider a better source of better syrup.
    After I started feeding they started building up the comb again, nice.

I fed HFCS for years. Good for gaining weight in the fall. Better than sucrose 2:1 because it's so thick. Bees love it.

But...it can cause problems. Hydroxymethylfurfural is a by product od fructose. It forms in fructose syrup over time or with elevated temperatures. High levels of HMF will kill your bees. If the syrup is fresh, hasn't been over heated, and is 55%, then you can feed without issues. If it's off spec or discolored, dont use it.

I killed a lot of nucleus colonies before i switched back to sucrose syrup. I was storing HFCS in my honey house and over time it degraded. Feeding it turned the nucs into a wet, sticky, stinky, mass of dead bees.