Thread: Blueberry Feed

Default Blueberry Feed

I have an excess of blueberry's that have been in the freezer for awhile and I was going to throw them out. Then I thought, well I like blueberry's and honey what if I crushed the berries and added some sugar and some water and heated it up would the bees take it? And if they did, would it flavor the honey to an extent that I would be able to tell? Would the berry's have any positive or negative effects? Just don't want to toss them out. Thoughts??
    An empty wagon rattles the loudest.

Default Re: Blueberry Feed

Pies. What's wrong w/ pies. By "awhile", what do you mean, since spring? Or since last year? Why do you think they are bad enuf to toiss?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

This years and last, but the hurricane knocked out power to the freezer and they defrosted and refroze so that is why. Do you have any other thoughts besides pies?

Yeah, I wouldn't waste time feeding them to bees. I see no benefit to the bees. If you are going to make a sugar syrup solution, leave out the blueberries.

Got any hogs or chickens around? Maybe the compost pile would be the best place for them. I'm sure the Yellow Jackets would love them.

Wine. How about wine? Herb makes wine from grapes, but maybe he could use your berries. How much do you have?

Well I had to try it and they do like it. Had a couple of old jars of honey and added 5 lb of sugar, water and smashed up the berries then heated it up on the stove. Made about 5 gallons. I figure what the heck, if they don't eat it all I will pour it out on the compost pile and the deer should enjoy the remains.

So, you added blueberries, honey, water and sugar? I can see why they would go for it. I might have also.

I guess you answered your own question.

Blueberries, honey, water and yeast would have made a fantastic melomel (fruit mead).