Thread: It's raining!

Default It's raining!

Worthy of an announcement somewhere, as the last drop of rain was 8/13, and it was maybe 15 drops. I think I got half an inch or more. Maybe there will be a fall flow.
    Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Default Re: It's raining!

Fantastic!!!!!!....hope ya'll get more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed

You're lucky, the last rain we got was in June, and that was late as it was! Congrats, tho!
    Brian

Got 1.5 inches. Won't have to water the garden for at least a week! and maybe there will be a fall flow after all. Hope you get some too.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

We got 0.8" on 9/18 while I was out of town. It was the 1st rain since 0.6" in early June. That make a grand total of 4.6" this year. It will take a tropical storm or two to pull us out of this drought.

This is across the street from my place, on the Pedernales River arm of Lake Travis. It is 51' low.

Last edited by Risky Beesness; 09-27-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Correct URL

I got almost 2 inches, and I think that is my annual rainfall since July 3rd, when i maybe got 1/4 inch. We are at least 17 inches low on rain for the year, but this drought really started when our October rains didn't come last year. Benbrook lake is nearest me, it is 16 or 17 feet lower than normal now. Not as bad as Lake Travis, but bad.

Gypsi

Yeah, the difference with this drought and past droughts is, instead of just less rainfall than normal, we have gone through the wettest periods with virtually no rainfall. Lake Travis is at it's 3rd lowest level ever, and lowest since 1963. If long range forecast come true, we could surpass all records.

Amazingly, my hives are loaded with pollen and brood. How they manage this, is mind boggling.

You're lucky. I'm trapping starving robber bees today, to make up for my losses from their sisters. I got this (my only since my swarm catch was robbed out) hive August 1st with almost no stores, either from the beek, or the drought, and they've been fed ever since. There is some pollen coming in mainly ragweed, a little goldenrod, and the elm count is up, do they gather elm pollen?

FINALLY. Got 3" last night. That brings us up to 7.6" for the year. Looks like a bunch of people from West Texas up through OK got some much needed rain from this system. Hopefully it will change our pattern, but that's not what the experts are saying.

So happy to see Texas finally get some much needed rain. Anyone know if it got as far as the Buffalo area? We have a place in Centerville and winter our bees around there and Buffalo. Weather reports sounded like it wasn't going to get to east Texas.

Radar right now shows rain over east Texas. Yellow, so it's heavy. Not sure where Centerville is, but points east are getting wet.

Great! Centerville is on I-45 halfway between Dallas and Houston. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper_sd View Post
    Great! Centerville is on I-45 halfway between Dallas and Houston. Thanks for the info!
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-95.9768