Default Cold weather causing mass escape???

Today was the first day of cold weather for Charlotte. I was outside a good bit today, like always, and I noticed a abnormally high amount of bees out today. Found 6 dead or dying in the water bowl and a bunch in the backyard or on the porch. Not really sure why. Usually I never see them out of the hive since I have a top feeder on them. I did check the top feeder and it was empty so I filled it up today. Still not sure if I like the top feeder. Let me know if you have any hypothesis why they were all out and about today.

Default Re: Cold weather causing mass escape???

What is cold in Charlotte, NC, this time of year? 65? 70? I don't know what is going on bloomwise in your neck of the woods, or burbs, but we have asters and goldenrod here and when temps are above 50 bees are flying.

It's what they do to survive. So, the short answer to your question is, they are looking for something to forage on. Specifically what is it that they are looking for, I have no idea? But they will do it whenever they can. And often when you or I might think they shouldn't.

It's natural.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    Today was the first day of cold weather for Charlotte.
    Is it snowing

BEE HAPPY Jim 134

Quote Originally Posted by tucker0104 View Post
    Usually I never see them out of the hive since I have a top feeder on them.
    I'd be a bit concerned about this!