Hybrid View

Default Can Change in weather cause robbing

Hello everyone, I have a small swarm I caught about a month ago. I have been feeding them with a
    top hive feeder. Hoping they will be strong enough to make it this winter. There had been no signs of
    robbing from my other hives this whole time. But today I came home from work and it is just covered in bees.
    So I was wondering is it because of the weather change.. We went from 90 degrees yesterday to 59 degrees
    and windy today.. So I was wondering if it's the weather that has them in a frenzy..
    P.S.
    I did close up the enterance to the hive to stop the robbing.
    I'll leave it closed up until I don't see any more robbing..

Thanks Billrobbing.jpgrobbing (2).jpgrobbing (3).jpg

Default Re: Can Change in weather cause robbing

It certainly is. Bees anticipate arrival of cold weather and struggle to have enough stores to survive the winter. They are looking everywhere for food sources and hives that have built up stores or being fed looked looks very attractive to them.

There are many other factors that are in play. One of them is genetics. Having a weak target closeby another. I just went through this a few days ago. One of my weak hives was robbed. It was hard to observe, nothing would stop the robbers. I finally closed up the hive for 48 hours, and things got better.

Thank you for your help.. I have closed up the hive. But there is
    alot of robber bees that are now closed up in side the hive. Is this a bad
    thing. What could happen to this weaker hive if these bees stay locked in
    with the others..
    Thanks again..

Weather trigger robbers ? ..Yes ..But my prob is yellowjackets . I had a weak nuc ..im thinking she was a virgin from the open q cells i had . It seemed i had no bees on it until the entrace was packed .I was thinking robbers , but as i watched the bees they werent going to the other hives right next to it . When i poped the top the capped brood was busting out . I added more frames . It could be robbers...or it could be after 30 days you have hatching bees . There didnt appear to be too many at the entrance .
    Last edited by seal62; 09-17-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

When I locked up the hive (I had no choice) I certainly locked a bunch of robbers in and left some belonging to the hive out. When I opened the hive after 2 days I was worried what I will find. I found a lot of dead bees on the SBB probably some robbers and some defenders. Fortunately the queen survived the carnage.
    Surprisingly some robbers have now joined the hive.