Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feeder idea: is there a reason this would NOT work??

I have used a couple of entrance feeders in the past...the kind with mason jars. I also have used an in-hive division-board feeder. I have not been overly pleased with either model for various reasons, and am wondering if this concept would work....

I snagged two empty 1-gallon pickle jars from the snack bar at my daughter's school. The jar height is 10.5 inches.

Can I make an inner-cover of sorts, except cut a hole in the middle that is slightly smaller than the jar lid and cover the hole with hardware cloth? Then, make a small set of risers to go around the hole to support the jar, turn the jar upside down with my 2:1 syrup, and feed as I would through the front, except now I am feeding from the top.

My thoughts are to build a deep super of sorts, except make it about 11.5 inches tall, to house the feeder-jar on top, and then place the real inner cover on top of the fake deep super and put the lid on top of that.

This method of feeding, if i can get the hole size right on the lid, seems like it would be much more efficient than either entering the hive frequently to refill the division feeder or having to tinker around with the entrance feeders which seemed to me more trouble than they were worth.

I appreciate any feedback anyone may have on this concept.

Irv

Default Re: Feeder idea: is there a reason this would NOT work??

If I were to use this jar, I would place it over an inner cover hole with a shim under the ts cover inside a deep body. This would give you the extra 1" that's needed. The rest of your plan would be extra work for me.

americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I'm no expert, and am not attempting to give advice, I can only state for fact what I have done that worked for me. With that said, the weight on a standart 1/8 " inner cover might be a problem, the weight of water alone is 8.34 lbs per gallon. The set up is no different than that I use with deep supers and quart jars. You can put four quarts in if you place them near the corners. I use a home made screened inner cover above that and teletop. I've found that the screened inner covers above the feed keeps ants and most everything out of the hive. This is the only way I have found to feed without starting a robbing frenzy. I also reduce the entrance to a 1/4' x 1/4" opening, very small but effective against robbing when starting a new nuc or feeding a weak hive.

I use one gallon plastic pails with two holes drilled in the cover. The holes are the diameter of a top bar nail. I place the pails on top of the bees and use a 7 5/8 super to provide room for the pail. Works like a champ. There is enough room for two pails as well.

The use of one gallon jars is a common and time warn method of feeding. Some folks just set the jars on the top bars, w/ a deep super around them. Other people use a woodbound wire queen excluder, which I believe gives more access to the lid holes. Others simply stand the jar over a hole in the cover, a migratory cover.

One gallon buckets work well too. But only one at a time will fit inside a deep super, I believe.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

You may want to try our catalog # 172-4 Quad hive top feeder. It works great! www.kelleybees.com
    Thanks,
    Walter T kelley Co.

Bsupplier,

Now why would I want to go and *buy* a feeder when I can make one at twice the expense/effort that works half as well..... ?

I use an inner cover that I make out of 1/2 inch plywood and I drill 2 holes for the jar lids and staple #8 hardware cloth underneath so I can pull the jars and replace them without the bees coming out. I usually drill a hole towards the front for ventilation and cover it also.These work great,I have been using them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by hemichuck View Post
    I use an inner cover that I make out of 1/2 inch plywood and I drill 2 holes for the jar lids and staple #8 hardware cloth underneath so I can pull the jars and replace them without the bees coming out. I usually drill a hole towards the front for ventilation and cover it also.These work great,I have been using them for years.
    Do you use 1 gallon jars, or quarts?

Last year I made some that held 4-1 gallon plastic jars but that was a bit much(you also want to use 3/4 plywood) Now I just use 2-1 quart mason jars on each one.You could also make them to hold 4-quart jars but its just personal preference.I do like the #8 mesh though because there was always 1 angry bee who would blow out of the hole and get you. Now I dont have to suit up just to change feeder jars.

I do what hemichuck does. I also cover with and empty super like you are suggesting. You could easily adapt for use with a gallon jar but I chose quarts because I had them on hand.

I drill about 10-12 small holes in my quart jar lids which sets flush on my # 8 wire.

My Question ?? Why have only one or two holes for one or two bees to feed from. I want as many as possible to be feeding at all times !!

Some can take 4 qt. jars. Sorry this one only will hold 3 quarts. The small 1/4 by 2 in hole is below the # 8 wire, this is my top winter vent, and can be closed if needed.

PCM

PCM: Do you put a top over that, or is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by Irvin cooper View Post
    ... Can I make an inner-cover of sorts, except cut a hole in the middle that is slightly smaller than the jar lid and cover the hole with hardware cloth? Then, make a small set of risers to go around the hole to support the jar, ...
    I use 8 frame intercovers with sides made out of 1x6s (19 7/8 long X 13 wide X 5 high) so I can set a large jar in and on top of the intercovers then an empty medium super around the jar and top it all off with a migratory lid. This should contain most if not all 1-gallon glass or larger plastic feed jars or buckets and there is nothing to prevent you from using a smaller jar if you desire.

Myself I like the squat glass gallon Vlasic and Oliver pickle jars and I make my feeder holes a little LARGER than the jar lids so the lids will come into solid contact with the screen wire. Since a bees tongue or nectar straw is small I use window screen (metal) and not #8 hardware cloth as I do not want to make a safe haven for small hive beetles. Besides I like to think that bees cling to window screen better than to hardware cloth, making it easier for them to tank up.

If you use these intercovers year round keep an UN-PERFERATED jar lid on top of the window screen or else the bees will either propolise the heck out of the screen wire or plug up the holes in the empty feeder lids. If you are careful with your hole punching there is nothing wrong with 30 or 40 small holes in you jar lids. As an experiment I once drilled 32 (I think it was) 1/8 inch holes in a quart fruit jar lid, filled the jar with water, and inverted it on my back porch railing (right next to the washing machine) for weeks in the Alabama summer Sun, and it never leaked a drop. The jar that is, not the washing machine.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvin cooper View Post
    PCM: Do you put a top over that, or is that it?
    I use a medium box with a couple of old bath towels and top cover.

Scrapfe
    " nectar straw is small I use window screen (metal) and not #8 hardware cloth as I do not want to make a safe haven for small hive beetles "

I have found that the bees completely seal window screen very quickly ????
    Course I don't claim to bee the sharpest tack in the box.

PCM

Quote Originally Posted by PCM View Post
    ... I have found that the bees completely seal window screen very quickly ???? Course I don't claim to bee the sharpest tack in the box...
    I have the same experience as you. I also found out that scolding, bribing and giving bees timeouts did not work. Therefore since bees will bee bees I recommended keeping a solid jar lid in place when not feeding and just allow the bees to propolise the screen all around the un-perforated lid creating and maintaining (usually) a nice round jar lid sized opening in the middle of the screen for your perforated jar lid to rest on while feeding. I also discovered that if I left a feed jar in place the bees stopped up the wee little holes in the lid but left the rest of the screen UNDER the lid alone. But bees being bees they propolised the outside margin of the screen to a fair thee well. Let's face it, bees hate light in the top of the hive.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

On a side note, Kelly's sells a 4 - 1 quart feeder with with screens that fits on the top board. They do not cost much at all, and they fit inside of a standard deep.

It kind of makes it easy to refill the quarts as they go empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsupplier View Post
    You may want to try our catalog # 172-4 Quad hive top feeder. It works great! www.kelleybees.com
    Thanks,
    Walter T kelley Co.
    Not such a side note
    Brian

Irvin, I think you have a really good idea and as you do it, take some photos and post them here. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast