Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Ultrabreeze vs Pigeon Mountain Ventilated

I have the Ultrabreeze full suit. Do not have the PM, but have owned an other heavy cotton suit. Cotton coveralls or
    jackets are very hot. Though the Ultrabreeze "feels" heavy - it is as cool as can be in the heat - It is made from 3 layers of mesh, not solid fabric. Your movements create a slight breeze on a still day. Yet the bees can not sting. The zippers did stick a bit, but a little wax or lubricant helped cure that. On the full suit having the zips on the legs is great - can get in and out with my boots on. If you want to be cool, use the full suit so you can have bare legs (with shorts on, or not depending on how remote the yards are :-).) If you just have the jacket you'll need long pants to get the same protection. Honestly, nothing compares, worth the money.

I have an ultrabreeze jacket and I love it. My zipper sometimes sticks, but I put on some beeswax -- The only problem that I have experienced is that on my jacket sleeves is that the Velcro strip that is sewn into the sleeve to make the elastic tighter around the wrist completely separated from the jacket on the one sleeve and is just barely hanging on the second sleeve. I don't know if they still have Velcro around the sleeves or not.

If there is an improvement to the ultrabreeze hood, I would prefer a hood that turns with my head. With the current design, my head turns in the hood.

I would never go back to the heavy cotten jackets as this keeps you safe and ventilated.

I'll stick with shorts and T-shirt. Even then I can only do a couple of hours at a time in our heat here, before needing a break to cool-off.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I have a full ultrabreeze suit and I'd venture that it's the best money that I've spent on the beekeeping adventure..

I'd probably go with a jacket and jeans next time... But, I could go commando in the full suit without fear of being stung.

Only complaint I have, is that I'm a rough on gear and the external material on the ultrabreese seems a little wimpy..

But.... I haven't torn it yet.

Pigeon Mtn has recently added more information to their product description for the ventilated suit. Check out:

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com...-bee-wear.aspx

Sure looks like a knock-off. Nowhere does it state "Made in the USA" - so I stand by my original post: A cheap Chinese (or foreign made) forgery.

Is a $50 difference in price (for a jacket) worth screwing your fellow Americans who came up with the original design? Or American laborers who make the original?

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Cut and pasted from the Pigeon Mountain product description:

"Because we make our own Pigeon Mountain BrandTM products -- we weave the fabric, extrude our own synthetic fabrics, do our own sewing, and market our product directly to you -- we can guarantee the quality of the product that you receive."

Extrude and weave their own fabrics???? Really?? Funny the web site doesn't show any major textile producing facilities. Do they think we're stupid?

However, the up close photo of the fabric does very much look like Ultrabreeze Material. Maybe they buy from the same vendor, or have a special deal, or have found someone to produce it. I don't know. But competition sometimes does lead to lower cost quality goods. And sometimes you can't believe what you read.

On their site the have an email address. I sent them an email to see where they are made. I told that they were implying that they were made in the US, and I would like to know if they are. Doubt that I will get a response, but we'll see. It would be nice if they are US made but I seriously doubt it. I'm going to buy the UltraBreeze, or I should say my wife is for a Christmas present.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I pulled a ton of honey today in my new Ultrabreeze jacket. For $179. they can't make a pocket which holds a hive tool? What did they think I would put in it? My tissue paper? My Epipen? Am I missing somethng? Is there a hive tool pocket hidden there somewhere? Guess I can only use my shorty hive tool with that jacket.

>Is there a hive tool pocket hidden there somewhere?

It's in the back pocket of your jeans.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I like the Ultrabreeze. But it is very heavy and gets heavier when you really start sweating in it. 90 something and high humidity I find the suit is slightly cooler but gets better if you have a breeze. The less clothes your wear underneath the cooler you get. A t-shirt is really too hot in high humidity. No shirt and your skin can breathe with a breeze.

I purchased my early spring and have used it a lot. I also use it doing cutouts and I have done plenty of them.

I feel their are some shortcomings with the mesh. Don't know how you would get around it but my suit is full of holes from little pulls by anything that is caught by the mesh. If you wash it without zipping up all of the zippers the mesh can get torn during washing. I just recently took the plastic braces out of the veil when washing for the second time. Didn't realize it but when I put one of them back in the second time one of them somehow went through the top of the mesh. That is probably how a bee got inside my suit and into my ear. An experience I don't want to have again.

I really need a new suit but I can't afford another one at their prices. Will try to patch this one up during the winter. You will not get stung while in this suit unless you leave something open. I purchased a medium and maybe should have purchased a large. 5'7" 175 pounds. Isn't long enough to go all the way down to cover my ankles. Have gotten a lot of sting there while working bees w/o smoke. Knowing the suit will keep me safe it's easy to forget that my ankles are left unprotected by the suit.

Would I purchase another one? Probably, if I could figure out how to minimize the snags. Would like to see some kind of guarantee w/ the suit. Even if it was 90 days. I am proud to purchase a "Made in the USA product" made by a bunch of nice people.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It's in the back pocket of your jeans.
    I get tired of cleaning the propolis off of my credit cards and drivers license.

are the hive bodies from pigeon mountain really from rossman? Did they just up the prices and stick a new cover on it?
    I have been there an i picked up a catalog and it looks just like the rossman catalog.

I purchased a Pigeon Mountain ventilated suit, am very pleased with it. A friend has an Ultra Breeze, compared quality, both look to be very well made. They are not the made the same way and are obviously made at different factories. Also have another friend whom has a Better, when we compared to the Pigeon Mountain, found them to be identical far as we can tell, both have a tag in them which says made in India. Pigeon Mountain is about 50 miles from my location, I spoke with the people there when I bought my ventilated suit recently, asked about the very low price? They noted that the owner also owns U S Vinyl Corporation which has fabric making operations and sewing operations in Asia, Europe and Mexico, that the ventilated suits are being sewn in India, parts such as fabrics, brass zippers, etc. come from various countries. The store also pointed out that their suits are backed by a 100% money back guarntee if the customer is not satisfied for any reason. At the price Pigeon Mountain is selling and with the quality being excellent, I will buy the Pigeon Mountain product. Everyone will have to make their own decisions what they prefer to buy. This is the best evaluation I can provide having compared all three suits. Quail Hunter

I can provide some info here.

If everyone would kindly send me $20 (or more) once I have enough money to purchase both suits, I'll write write a detailed report!

Quail Hunter,

Better?? What suit are you talking about? Can you provide a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Quail Hunter View Post
    Also have another friend whom has a Better, when we compared to the Pigeon Mountain, found them to be identical far

I figured he was talking about Betterbee but I don't see a ventilated suit currently offered there.

Ed

Thank you Quail Hunter. Very thorough review with full answers to questions.

Friend of mine has a ventilated bee suit, he called it a Better, do not know where he got it? It looks identical to the one Pigeon Mountain is selling. Will find out for sure? Said he paid over $200.00 for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast