Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ultrabreeze vs Pigeon Mountain Ventilated

Has anyone tried both to see how they compare? They look very similar but the Ultrabreeze jacket is $259 and the PM is $96.

I know the old adage that you get what you pay for, but is the difference in quality worth the additional $160+ ?

Millville, Worcester Co, Massachusetts, USA

Default Re: Ultrabreeze vs Pigeon Mountain Ventilated

I cannot answer about the Ultrabreeze, but I have a Betterbee and just purchased for the wife a Pigeon Mountain and other than cost I find no difference in the quality of the two suits. The Betterbee was made in India and no label can be found as to where the Pigeon Mountain was made.

Hope it helps.

Steve_G

SNL....I am wondering the same thing....hope someone post on here an answer. I did purchase the PM solid jacket for myself, and compared it to my wife's Dadant...and there were a few things I found different, but nothing that would keep me from buying it again.

Just to be clear, the Ultrabreeze jacket is $163 for any size, and the full suit is: $259 any size. I saw the Pigeon Mountain website, but their product description is very weak. Could be a great product, but you certainly couldn't tell from their description.

No doubt on the quality and service of the Ultrabreeze stuff - hard to beat.

Ultrabreeze, is a great product from a great folks, made in USA, and they stand behind it. Hard to beat at any price.

I doubt they are the same. The reason the Ultra breeze is expensive is it's basically three suits, all mesh, which is how it is stingproof and ventilated. The quality (beyond the three suits) is that it has heavy duty brass zippers and a well thought out design. I don't see how anyone could make an equivalent suit for $96.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I got the wife an Ultra Breeze this summer after she was stung multiple times. any time she went to the hives it was always the same. now after getting the Ultra breeze NO stings, no more problems with heat. If i can just get her to leave MY bees alone?
    I will have my suit before spring for sure, with that comfort and no stings, the price is worth it. If I can get the same suit somewhere else cheaper--dont care.
    Great product, great company, loyal customer.

Quote Originally Posted by brac View Post
    Ultrabreeze, is a great product from a great folks, made in USA, and they stand behind it. Hard to beat at any price.
    I got my half suit, or jacket, a cpl days ago. The first thing I noticed was how heavy it seems to be. Heavier than other examples when soaking wet.

Then I noticed the zippers. All metal zippers. Where other makes are nylon(?) or something. I'm wondering how the Ultrabreeze zippers will hold up to getting wet. are they going to rust or snag?

Cuffs are pretty tight. Even unvelcroed. Maybe they'll loosen up some w/ wear.

I haven't tested it out in the bee yard yet. That's next week when it's time to take off the rest of this years boxes.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Mark, will the brass zippers rust? Your kidding, right?

>I'm wondering how the Ultrabreeze zippers will hold up to getting wet. are they going to rust or snag?

They are solid brass. Brass does not rust. If you get them sweaty enough they may turn a bit green... sort of like the Statue of Liberty...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I was up at 5 AM yesterday and today. Guess I wasn't thinking. The brass zipper on my Jeans have always worked, even wet.

Yawn. Time for bed.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I have had my Ultrabreeze jacket for a few weeks now. I find the zippers balky to start, and easily catch the fabric. They should use a larger gauge zipper. Nylon suits catch a lot less. I wonder if a bit of lubricant on the zipper might help with it's difficulty to start. It is also so heavy I wonder if it will help on hot days, when the is no BREEZE.

Try a little beeswax on that zipper. Works wonders and i bet you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_G
    I have a Betterbee and just purchased for the wife a Pigeon Mountain and other than cost I find no difference
    Quote Originally Posted by okbees
    I did purchase the PM solid jacket for myself, and compared it to my wife's Dadant.
    I haven't seen the Pigeon Mtn, but if it's comparable to the ones sold by Betterbee and Dadant, then it's not comparable to the UltraBreeze. I bought my UltraBreeze after looking at Betterbee, Dadant, Mann Lake, etc. Very different, worth the price, and worth waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank
    I have had my Ultrabreeze jacket for a few weeks now ... It is also so heavy I wonder if it will help on hot days, when the is no BREEZE.
    Our summer was brutally hot this year, and I found it helped immensely.

I've been wondering the same thing myself. The Pigeon Mountain ventilated jacket that's being referred to is here: http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com...-bee-wear.aspx

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    It is also so heavy I wonder if it will help on hot days, when the is no BREEZE.
    This was the first thing I noticed about my UltraBreeze Jacket. It was incredibly heavy when I took it out of the box. I felt a little uneasy as it was 103F and no breeze the day I got it. I put it on and walked outside. I was amazed at how cool I was.

I have spent a lot of $ this year on my bees. Mostly digging, landscaping, and planting for next season; which gets expensive real quick. But the $170 I spent on this Jacket was the best expense I have had so far. I will be getting a second one for visitors who want to see the bees up close but are afraid of getting stung.

Does anyone have a Pigeon Mountain suit and if so.........your thoughts & comments.........

that pic makes it look like a copy of the ultrabreeze. So who owns one?

I just got my PM $33 jacket today. Good quality, 100% cotton (heavy), metal zippers. Made in India. I'm impressed. Will be hot in the summer is the only downside. Will eventually need to get their ventilated jacket or the Ultrabreeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I doubt they are the same. The reason the Ultra breeze is expensive is it's basically three suits, all mesh, which is how it is stingproof and ventilated. The quality (beyond the three suits) is that it has heavy duty brass zippers and a well thought out design. I don't see how anyone could make an equivalent suit for $96.
    Cheap Chinese knock-off is my guess.

Tony P.
    There must be a harder way to do that... let me find it for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast