Hybrid View

Default Bees in vent hood / duct at McDonald's - anyone ever do something similar?

I got a bee removal call yesterday to remove bees from a hood/duct system on the roof of a local McDonald's inside a Wal-Mart store. At first inspection, I failed to locate them, owever, we seem to have found them way down deep inside the ductwork - almost inaccessible. Seems like a cone-trap out might be the ticket, only we are headed into winter and I am afraid I will run out of time before the winter cold arrives. Also, getting the hive off the roof might be problematic. I will definitely have to fabricate a hive that can be lowered by rope or something. The only access is by a three story tall ladder. Any advice? Should I wait for Spring?

Anyone ever done anything like this before?

Default Re: Bees in vent hood / duct at McDonald's - anyone ever do something similar?

I have worked on many vent hoods, but I have never removed bess. The poor bess are probably overweight and have clogged arteries.

Default Re: Bees in vent hood / duct at McDonald's - anyone ever do something similar?

Yeah, the vents really stink. Surprised they moved in to them. Not sure that comb removal is even possible.

Can you see the comb from the roof? If it is round duct exhaust pipe, it is pretty easy to remove. I you can see the comb I would try rigging up a piece of pipe attached to a small bucket and try to pull it out.

If the comb fell down you could retrieve thru the top of the vent hood. The only problem is I doubt Mcdonalds wants that kind of excitement in their kitchen.

Whatever you do, charge them a fortune! If you can drop a small bucket in the vent past the combs and drag if up pulling the combs with you.........maybe.

Might try a bee vac.......won't get the combs, but ...........if your object is to remove them w/o removing the vent, maybe your only course .......

Probably have to apply same methods as removing bees from deep inside chimneys. Which I have never done before so I cannot advice. But I know a bee remover who sends down a loooong bee vac hose and removes the bees. Saving them might not be possible.

Yeah....I will have 2 McFatties and a honeycomb milkshake plus a order of fries with cooked brood

Can't even begin to give you an answer but my first thought is you don't have to worry about grease patties for tracheal mite problems. Suprised the bees are still surviving in the vent.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.
    It's Washington County, Fl not Wahington....my bad

it may have a clean out panel in ceiling which is code here. its probably big enough for a person to get in

I will have to check that. There has to be some way into it.