Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to exterminate bees in a hive without destroying the comb

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley_Bee View Post
    If you had the equipment you could split it into as many splits as you could make and requeen all of them or just let them raise one.
    It's a little late to do this in NJ at this time. Though, maybe, the owner could just leave them alone until Spring. Maybe they will die over the winter.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Close the hive up as tight as possible. Back your car up to the hive. Run a hose from the exhaust into the hive. That'll kill them. I don't know how it would effect the comb and honey.
    Mark if you want the exhaust to go into the hive you cannot close it up you have to let the air that is in the hive get out. Screening the entrance and running the hose through the inner cover would work just fine.

Don't get mad now I am just giving you some info. Take it or leave it.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

get a nuc and a frame of eggs from a gentle hive replace the hive location with the nuc.all the old guard bees will be in nuc and they'll re-queen there self.wait a few hours get another nuc with a frame of eggs since they will send the next older bees out the guard bees replace hive location again now all older bees will all be removed.that will make the hive more manageable to find the queen in the mean hive.let all hives re-queen then you have three chances to get a mild hive after queens hatch you can find the one you want to keep then re-combine them...

Close the hive up as tight as possible. Back your car up to the hive. Run a hose from the exhaust into the hive. That'll kill them. I don't know how it would effect the comb and honey.
    All the various hydrocarbons from the exhaust would infiltrate the comb, rendering it useless at best, toxic or carcinogenic at worst!!! This is a VERY BAD IDEA!

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

I thought so. But, I bet it works well if the combs aren't wanted. Maybe some ventilation would be needed. CO2 is used to put virgin queens to sleep.

So what about the Resmethrin? Anybody know? Too oldschool?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Take with a LARGE grain of salt, (I'm a newbie) but the dry ice (CO2) sounds safest to me. If you must kill them. The video at the start of this thread was excellent. And yes, I have experienced a hot hive. My first hive, that died out after the swarm, was hot enough that I couldn't cross the lot 20 ft away without being pursued and stung, WITH a smoker, not even going near the hive. After the swarm I had a suit, and they got mellower, but that was part of why I don't know how they died out or absconded. I was not enthusiastic about opening that hive.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by franktrujillo View Post
    get a nuc and a frame of eggs from a gentle hive replace the hive location with the nuc.all the old guard bees will be in nuc and they'll re-queen there self.wait a few hours get another nuc with a frame of eggs since they will send the next older bees out the guard bees replace hive location again now all older bees will all be removed.that will make the hive more manageable to find the queen in the mean hive.let all hives re-queen then you have three chances to get a mild hive after queens hatch you can find the one you want to keep then re-combine them...
    What? anybody else get this?

I think so. Move the meanies while the foragers are gone. Put a nuc and a frame of eggs from a gentle hive in their place.

Wait a few hours for them to come in, move that nuc, and put another nuc and frame of eggs in their place.

Then find the queen in the mean hive. (you'll be dealing with fewer bees.) Squish her.

You end up with 3 hives that requeen themselves, 2 of which should be gentle, and the other one might be.?
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

I'm in south central PA not too far from the OP and my hives are now kicking out their drones (saw a worker this afternoon dragging out a drone while stinging it). It's just tool late I think now for the OP to be able to raise a new queen that'll mate well, if at all.
    I too vote for a bag and dry ice if putting them down is the chosen option. Just remember two things. CO2 sinks, so dry ice goes on top. Also, the expansion ratio is 554:1, so a piece of dry ice that's a 6" x 6" x 1", which would weigh just shy of 2lbs, will expand to 11 cubic feet. That's not a ton, but that'll be added to the air you're already trapping in the bag when you seal it. Just make sure you don't have an explosing garbage bag in the middle of the night

You're not joking about that exploding bag either. I've got some stored in my freezer, and getting it stable involved a couple of exploding bags...

Get your shop vac and suck them up wrap the comb for next year
    I make good money doing that but I lower the intake so I can keep the bee's
    Can you get a next day aired queen I believe there are some in the for sale section

Good luck
    Tommyt

btw I get $300 a hive if you want me to do it
    I have an in with jet blue round trip $150....... so I maybe able to swing it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    Just make sure you don't have an explosing garbage bag in the middle of the night
    I will make a suggestion and you can take it or leave it.

If you seal the hive you seal in oxygen so the CO2 can only dilute it. If the hive is old beat up wood with holes and exposed cracks you may have to wrap the sides in plastic. If it is a good hive you shouldn't have to do any sealing except closing off the entrance. With the CO2 introduced from the bottom the hive will fill up like a water glass full strength. The oxygen will vent out the opening in the inner cover. "Remember to screen it over so the bees can't get out.

There may be a few remaining bees around the screen that you could suck into a shop vac.

You could use the shop vac as a container for the dry ice and use the hose to introduce the CO2 into the hive. Make sure the shop vac is sealed so you don't loose any of the CO2. If you have a SBB you will have to seal that up so the CO2 doesn't leak out the bottom. You probably should seal up a regular BB too.
    Brian Cardinal

just take them out a frame at a time shake them all off in the middle of the yard and take the comb away. The bees will find a new home and you dont have to kill them. Put on several layers of cloths and just do it, who knows you might not get stung.

Will they behave or does it now make all the other hives in your apiary a hassle to work on?
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by scottddove View Post
    just take them out a frame at a time shake them all off in the middle of the yard and take the comb away. The bees will find a new home and you dont have to kill them. Put on several layers of cloths and just do it, who knows you might not get stung.
    Do this on the right day and you will have a cluster of bees gathered on your head, being the warmest and highest spot around.

I would not recommend doing this.

But, perhaps combining the aggressive colony w/ one less so would be a way to save the bees and brood. I'd want to kill the queen first and leave them queenless for a cpl days.

I didnt say do it and stand around and see what happens. Do it and go away as fast as you can. I do this same technique when I have a laying worker, it works just fine and you retain your bees you need for overwintering, bringing in nectar, ect. Why would you kill your bees you probably have money in.

Quote Originally Posted by scottddove View Post
    I didnt say do it and stand around and see what happens. Do it and go away as fast as you can.
    Well, yeah. I understand that and do the same thing w/ laying worker hives, but this is in the cool/cold North in the fall or late summer w/ a full size colony of mean bees. so I could easily see what I described happening. It happens when I take honey off in Oct. and I sort frames in the yard.

I agree. Why kill bees when you don't have to. Seems the OPer thinks he needs to, so we aught to answer his question first. Which I think we have. And then we can give opinions on alternative ways of handling the situation. Which I think we are. Some more practical than others. Not saying which ones. Obviously some of mine are less practical or safe. Brain storming.

cmyates,
    it has been a cpl of days. Have u taken any action yet? Made any descisions?

It happens when I take honey off in Oct. and I sort frames in the yard.
    Can I ask why it happens? We took our honey last Oct in the evening just before dark laid out the frames around the hive and an hour after dark the bees were all gone from the frames and then we brought them in. Why did that work for us?
    Brian Cardinal

In a laying worker hive, if I have already salvaged the honey and given to a nuc for overwintering, can I just let the hive expire on it's own in the cold weather? Any disadvantages? I'm figuring this way, all the drone brood will hatch and I'll have broodless comb to use in the spring. I'd prefer just leaving them, but if I'm setting myself up for a problem, then I'll shake. Thanks
    Chip Harlow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12