Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: All My Bees Are Drowning!

I think I modified mine like Michael Did. I followed one I saw in our bee group. It has a space for the bees to come up from the center and drink from the side but they can't get into the top. Bees would still fly into the top when I was filling it etc. I put a screen on top. It keeps that from happening. No bees drowned since these modifications. The hive top feeder holds alot of syrup which is nice. I feed with inverted mason jars mainly though. Here's a pic of my hive top feeder after I tried to make it drown proof.
    2876a6d8.jpg

I am a first year beek so take this advice lightly. I bought one of the plastic hive top feeders from bee-commerce.com and it worked great. Holds three gallons. A few bees drowned on the first filling so I took off the screen and sanded the plastic that the bees walk on and it worked great until it got too cold to use it anymore.

We use Mann Lake feeders with an adjustment. We took out the top bar and those long plastic sleeves. Then we took a new wooden paint stirrer and laid it on top of the syrup. The floating paint stirrer gives the bees a platform and its wide enough and long enough so they can crawl back up the feeder walls. You can also float one stirrer and lean a second one at an angle and the bees will walk up and down it. Saves the bees and its a cheap fix, the stirrers
    were free for the asking. We prefer to feed in the hive to avoid scavengers and so the bees don't have to leave the hive for food so the outside feeders don't do well for us. We get a few dead bees in the syrup but nothing huge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12