Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wind velocity to strip bees from comb

Yeah, I don't get the upside down either.
    Is it a given that blowing the bees out ticks them off or are some people having better success because of their technique? If it is technique then lets discuss the differences in technique.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

you could use a beebrush if you want to prevent bees from flying spry them with 1:1 and shake them of, but most importantly just figure it out, you wont ever know until you try. At some point you are gunna have to just do things yourself. stop being afraid of making a mistake

I have never ever been afraid of making a mistake but I find it beneficial to field all my crazy thought patterns to find out how crazy they are before I take the plunge.

It is now 51 degrees outside and I was thinking of pulling frames tomorrow, maybe extracting. The weather is expected to be the same. If you spray them when it is 51 degrees are they going to like it? Will it harm them?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Currently I only keep about 40 hives here. I have not found the need yet to use any sort of bee blower. I have never had any problems manually brushing off the bees from capped frames of honey. First a firm shake, then a gentle brush. It can be done in a somewhat gentle manner. I have harvested 10-12 medium shallows in a day this way, (by myself) without even taking a sting. No I don't wear gloves or a suit to do this. Its in the truck if I ever need it. I almost always wear a veil. I am a former commerical beekeeper and yes we blew bees in our yards. Actually we had a man that helped us and that was his job. He never minded the noise or the piles of piles of bees at his feet. It is not very gentle on the bees but we had so many hives it was the best approach. I have never used chemicals to remove them and probably never will.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

if its that cool , dont spray them just use a bee brush it. when you brush off one frame set it in a box and cover it with a cloth right away so no bees get back in it. it will take a little bit of time but you only have a few hives right. that seems the best way to me.

Has anybody tried short blasts of air to strip bees out of a super instead of a continous blast? I don't know if there would be any advantage except you might not stir up the bees as much.

These guys like Roland and Odfrank really do know what they are talking about (how can anyone argue with an entomological engineer ?). But seriously for a hive or two just get yourself a bee brush a smoker and temps warm enough for the bees to break cluster (very important). Gently brush or shake the bees in the entrance and they will all crawl back inside within the hour, the chances of killing the queen are pretty minimal. Sort back any frames of brood and put them back on to be taken off later. It really shouldn't take more than a minute or so per box. Come on Ace You can do it.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    I agree, Odfrank. Do they not believe what we write?

Crazy Roland, Entomological Engineer.
    I don't think some of them care what you have to say. I think they are just trying to up their post #'s to look like they are authorities on whatever they respond to. Know it alls and trolls.
    But know that some of us DO want to hear what you have to say, and use your advice. Keep the knowledgeable responses coming.
    thanks,
    mike