Hybrid View

Default Rotating boxes, How often?

Very curious as to how many times a year commercial keepers plan to rotate their boxes. I know spring for sure as I helped a keeper rotate last year. Lots of work.

Default Re: Rotating boxes, How often?

I'm just a poor sideliner with between 100 and 200 hives usually. I don't rotate the boxes. As you say, it is a lot of work.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stopswitching

"Some beekeepers, trusting the ways of bees less than I do, at this point routinely 'switch hive bodies,' that is, switch the positions of the two stories of each hive, thinking that this will induce the queen to increase her egg laying and distribute it more widely through the hive. I doubt, however, that any such result is accomplished, and in any case I have long since found that such planning is best left to the bees." --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I usually reverse the boxes in the spring once it is warm enough and the bees are strong enough. This gives me the opportunity to clean the bottom boards of winter debris too. after reversing, a lot of the brood and bees are on the bottom and allows the bees to expand upwards.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I will reverse brood boxes and/or add deep supers only once, in the Spring when I am preparing for splitting a month later. I believe I did avoid swarming and that it did provide lots of frames of brood for making splits. But I would never argue w/ Richard Taylor.

My Philosophy is that one should gather advice from those who have come before, take it in and then do what seems best for yourself and your bees.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Never.

Crazy Roland, Entomological Engineer

Once, in the spring during spring brood examinations.............Durn, Roland, you are now an Entomological Engineer. I have been away from the forum too long. Did not even get to go to your graduation. TED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    ..... 'thinking that this will induce the queen to increase her egg laying" --Richard Taylor, The Joys of Beekeeping
    Well, I don't believe that reversing brood chambers increases the queen's egg laying, so I agree with Taylor. But, I believe that reversing brood chambers is a good management tool in swarm control. I reverse once on the Dandelion flow, this about 2 weeks after adding two medium extracting supers. This helps me maintain my colonies' strength for my early flows...no splitting in spring to eliminate swarming.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    ...no splitting in spring to eliminate swarming.
    I'll have to try that out. Maybe I'll have better success producing honey next year.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

350, going up, seeking quality, not quantity. Still recovering financially from CCD.

Ted - Got my Eng. degree in the bottom of a cereal box. That's normal, Eh?

Crazy Roland, Entomological Engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    350, going up, seeking quality, not quantity.
    I've got a friend who goes to much for quantity and his quality suffers. He needs the numbers though because he needs to fill his pollination contracts and it seems like a viscous cycle because the qualitity for over wintering is lacking, then the following spring he goes on a splitting spree again. I'm so sick of doing pollination and though I've been in the same boat as my friend, I remember the days of keeping bees for the purpose of making honey where quality hives are important. I'm going back to my roots on that one, and keeping it simple.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Quote Originally Posted by cteddo View Post
    Very curious as to how many times a year commercial keepers plan to rotate their boxes. I know spring for sure as I helped a keeper rotate last year. Lots of work.
    Lots of commercial keepers do not

BEE HAPPY Jim 134