Default has anyone ever built their own extractor?

Just wondered. I was visualizing something along the line of a potter's wheel arrangement with a big pot on it. Ok, I'm avoiding writing html goofing around on beesource.....

I know, it's nutty.
    But I didn't know they MADE extractors when I started planning this.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Default Re: has anyone ever built their own extractor?

Currently building one out of stainless steel... Should finish it by next spring. Not that hard of a project if you know how to weld SS. Will post pics when I have time.

This one is 6 frame (26" Wide) 3.5 tall. Tang... next one is going to be 100-120 rad. Cheaper to buy SS sheet metal than buying an extractor. If you have the tools and time then go for it.

I would think that the problem with that line of thinking would be overcoming the out of balance issues.

If he can weld stainless and has the tools, I betcha he can handle centering and mass. Measure twice, cut once. If he can't, it will get to be a very expensive extractor.

When I built mine, I bought the basket from Dadant, holds 20 by design, 36 in practice. Really made the project come together.

I built my own extractor using different ideas from others. I used 1/2" steel tubing for the frame holders, a 1/2" bolt welded to the frame holder in which I mounted a treadmill pulley. I used a treadmill motor to power the unit and saved the treadmill electronics so I can have adjustable speed. The barrel is a food grade barrel. I bought a honey gate from Mann Lake and the extractor frame is just some 2x4's slapped together. The treadmill motor was welded to some break away tubing (we use them at work to mount signs on around town) and is adjustable to put tension on the pulley belt. All metal was wire wheeled extensively and then washed with soapy water and lightly sanded with scotch pads. Then a coat of Camcote was applied, after curing lightly sanded with the pads again, then another coat. This was repeated three times on the frame holder. The wood that supports the center rod was also Camcoted. I also bought some plexiglass to cover the barrel when in use to avoid any mess.

Action photo of spinning honey, you can see the honey flying off the frames!!
    Coyote Creek Bees