Default How Can I Locate Yellow Jacket Hive

I've got a Lilac bush near my hive and for some reason, it has become the local hang out for yellow jackets, paper wasps and cicada killers. I have no idea why they all decided to party on this bush, but this time of year, the yellow jackets get pretty aggressive around here and I'd like to terminate them with extreme prejudice. I sat watching, trying to locate their ground entrance for a while and no luck. Is there any kind of GPS tracking device I can attach to them to track their movements or should I just go at it with a flame thrower?

Default Re: How Can I Locate Yellow Jacket Hive

It always seems that they like to make their ground nests near fence rows and a carbohydrate source. I have lots of apple trees and we have at least one nest a year near our fence. This year it was exactly in the corner of the pasture. Last year it was about ten feet from the fence. We also had near a row of brush. Do you have apple trees or other fruit trees? Also, I have had good success with seven dust on the hole. You pour it on and they fly through it and take it to the nest and spread it through the rest of the colony. I don't know if this narrows it down or helps at all, but I hope so! Good luck!

yeah, we have fruit trees and they've been eating a bunch from the trees. Thought their nest would be near the trees, but haven't seen an entry "hole" yet

See if you can find someone with ducks. Ducks eyes are much better then ours, plus they have a sweet tooth. They will find the hive in the ground, dig it up, and eat everyone of them. My ducks did that with the one I had and left a huge crater behind.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I have had yellow jackets in Nut tress, fruit trees, inside the attic, in the ground, all over the farm.

I try to just watch where they go. Oh BTW,, I have a lot of ducks so maybe thats why I only have yellow jackets in high places.

They also build paper nest above ground.
    For the below ground nest, I used to dump a quart of gasoline down the hole after dark and plug the entrance with a corn cob or pine cone (works every time).
    You can follow them back to there nest to locate it or you can hire me to walk around and I guarantee you
    that I will get stung by stepping on the nest!
    My crew has been finding between 20-50 nest a day lately working in the woods.
    Bears will also locate them for you as they like to dig them up and eat the bees and brood.
    Best of luck! Mtn. Bee
    You can also shoot an elk right now during the archery season and the yellow jackets will fight you to see who gets the right to consume the meat. I don't recommend packing out the elk meat during the daylight hours!