Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Beekeeper Certification Hillsborough County FL

What are the symptoms of anaphalactic shock, appropriate first aid measures and need for followup with emergency medical treatment.

I think a lot of local beeks would share Gord's concerns and opinions- But most of us had to take a test/drive a car to get a license. If you want to keep venomous snakes, you need a license, and they aren't travelling a mile or more from your home- hopefully.

A good assesment shouldn't just test what someone knows, but you should walk away smarter after taking the test. Just my ten years in the field of public EDU. Maybe some of the top 50 Q's should steer toward the dangers of HFCS, heavy metals, and antibiotics in a daily diet. That was big push for us into keeping bees. We wanna know where our honey is from and what is in it.

or

all of the following are benefits of keeping bees except:

providing local pollinators

sharing the hobby with friends

allergy relief

buying honey from China (I went there)
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Sorry, there's just not enough there to warrant a 50 question test and a one-on-one practicum with every Hillsborough County urban beekeeper. Good luck, but the program is misplaced. It's a bone tossed to the opposition in the guise of protection of the public. I don't object to that part of the change that allows urban beekeeping, at all. But this part of the change is one we can do without. It's a boondoggle.

I was not involved in the discussions, but a one day "certification" beats a week, a month or a year of classes. There is no tax, fee, or cost proposed for allowing bees or certification. I was selected to spearhead this because I am the Master Beekeeper in the County and I am the only one of Tampa Bay Beekeepers that already offers regular monthly bee workshops every third Saturday at USF.
    first aid and shock are probably the best suggestion so far! Thank you
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Calling people that question local governments efficiency "without common sense or good judgement" is a bit harsh and a personal attack. I was careful to suggest what I thought were good ideas while giving input that I hoped would shape people's percepective.

Defending more regulation that to many people's mind is unneeded and wasteful with an attitude that this is important concession just doesn't fly. I can understand your excitement in being able to develop and standardize a course and method of testing for so many new beekeepers.

Seems to me that the only interest government should have in this is to protect others in the community and their property, not to make beginning beekeepers into masters. If a new beekeeper wants to screw up totally, then that's his or her right, so long as the rights of others aren't infringed upon. A knowledge of disease control and of the safety of others comes to mind as important. Unfortunately, these things tend to get out of hand when the legitimate limits of governmental interest are ignored. Good Luck!

You misunderstand "rules (usually caused by people without common sense or good judgement)" Almost every rule, law, ordinance, prohibition was created by someones irresponsible action. Rules are made to protect us from idiots and selfish people.
    It only reinforces the latest posts. If we can keep idiots and people that do not care if bees are taken from good beekeepers it is worth it.
    This is not intended to make "Master Beekeepers" though many have suggested modeling it after Master Beekeeper programs.
    americasbeekeeper.com

It's the public that should be educated on benefits of having bees in the area.
    #1 The benefits of pollination by the honey bee.

Incidentally, I am not excited about doing this. I have a full time job, a full time bee training program, and a two year project to bring beekeeping training to the 33 Florida Counties that have less than 20 beekeepers.
    I was volunteered by TBBA!
    I just want to do it right. We have media looking for a disaster, interest groups that do not like any government at all, groups that do not like change like allowing beekeeping presently prohibited, and the majority that hate insects, especially stinging insects.
    americasbeekeeper.com

By supporting their proposal to certify we're reinforcing the misperception that honeybees pose a menace to neighbors. If we don't stand against that misperception, who will?

I have nothing to do with the proposal or the negotiations so you are off topic in challenging the ordinance to allow beekeeping.
    We do not want to make "Master Beekeepers" just to start beekeeping. What are the 50 most important questions to ask. a new beekeeper.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Wow, this got really political.

AmBee, I was thinking mostly about best neighbor practices last night, and came up with these. Worded as solutions, I don't have enough coffee in me yet to phrase as questions!

Some of these might have been suggested but I don't care to participate any further in a political rant. When it comes down to brass tacks, you are making sure that new beekeepers are educated, and I appreciate that. Besides, you asked us to help you do this right, not give you a lecture on big government.

-Ensure that flightpath is restricted by fence or other structure to force bees to fly high.
    -Hives should be shielded from street view.
    -Perhaps requeen at the first evidence of supercedure (not sure how to phrase that but I am thinking of ensuring non-Africanized genes)
    -Swarm control, as that scares the daylights out of people!
    -Provide a convenient water source for bees near their hive(s)
    -The difference between a "hot" hive and one that has an attitude due to dearth, etc.

I think that you said somewhere that the county didn't care about pest management, but if you put it to them regarding the importance of managed colonies keeping the incidence of AFB down, they might reconsider.
    I started out as an opportunistic beekeeper. Now the bees keep me...

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    ... What are the 50 most important questions to ask. a new beekeeper.

In order to accomplish what? What is the purpose of the testing?

Then, is that a legitimate function of government?

Or are we letting our personal wishes creep in about what kind of beekeepers we'd like like to see? I'm not accusing anyone, I just see this as a danger -- however well-intentioned. These are the questions I would ask myself, were I in your shoes. (Actually, I don't envy you.)

If the County has identified a clear objective and public interest to be served by the certification, that should be used to select the questions. Have they done so and communicated it to you? If not, you should ask them to clearly identify the objective of the certification so that you can tailor your design of the test accordingly.

More government involved in our lives and pursuits sucks! Bees are out there regardless of whether a beekeeper keeps them in a box or not. Next thing you know the commissioners will be asking for a fee to pay administrative costs for some deadbeat city employee who sits around doing her nails all day and taking a month to type up the paperwork for each certified beek. Most cities in FL don't regulate beekeeping and have no problem with beehives in the backyard. Tampa Bay area should adhere to the same policy of independence and non-interference! As a beek YOU should be promoting beekeeper rights, not regulation.

Point well taken, I'd say the only individuals supporting the new regulations are the ones who are going to financially benefit from it. As always follow the money trail.

Get all king of governments out of our lives.

They are responsible for current recession and suffering of millions of hard working and law obeying American citizens.

I hope they stay away from my county (Pasco) with this new "regulation".

Besides a few hives I have a dog, cat, parrots, chickens, ducks, turkeys, guinea hens, quail and hundreds of plants.

Myself and thousands of other Floridians keeping livestock for business or pleasure are surely not looking to be "certified" in any of areas of their activities.

They'll start with bees "certification" then legislation will creep in to other fields including African Violets kept on window stills.

We already have bee inspection and hive registration, isn't it enough ?!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerCrum View Post
    This is not good for individuals. Just one more brick in the wall. Every day we are watching another freedom removed and replaced with control by government.

"Let me see your papers!"
    Roger,

Your reply is bullseye on target, on topic, relevant, and make a very salient point.

In my opinion, "Bee Keeper Certification" is a REALLY bad idea. Government regulation and control RARELY if ever results in a positive outcome and nearly always results in radically increased costs & complication which serve to drive away or out of the practice of beekeeping that we supposeda ALL are trying to do our best to put forward and welcome as many as possible into the craft.

Thanks Monkadelic, Charlie B, Mbeck, RogerCrum, and FL Beak. I wish more beekeepers had something positive to contribute. You do not have to know anything about bees to post on the website though.
    americasbeekeeper.com

Americasbeekeeper, I'm not sure why you've avoided the questions about the objectives of the program. Don't you think it's important, as you're designing the cert/test, to know exactly what it's supposed to accomplish? And if your "client" (the County) hasn't thought that through, shouldn't you help them to do so so that you can provide to them a good work product? Without knowing their clear objectives, you're shooting in the dark. If they DO have clear objectives, would you share them?

Thanks in advance.

they are talking about a 200.00 dollor fee for permit to keep bees also

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast