Hybrid View

Default fermentation speed

I am making a mead using Lavlin EC-1118 yeast and specific gravity starting at1.100 and where it sits it is about 65 degrees. The gas check is liberating gas about fifty times a minute. This is day 3. Is this normal fermentation speed. Should I have that yeast at a warmer temperature? My first batch so I could use some advice. Thanks..

Default Re: fermentation speed

68F minnimum for proper fermentation. Lower temps will take longer to finish and have different effects on the finished product.

Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    The gas check is liberating gas about fifty times a minute. This is day 3.
    It sounds like it's fermenting just fine to me.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

As long as it is burping along, I think you are fine, too. If I think it is too slow, I often toss in a little yeast nutrient during the fermentation. Mead fermentation is much slower for me than beer. Even once it is done with visible fermentation, I am finding leaving it in the carboy for a month or four is a good improvement to the final product. But for your first batch- drink it up and make more.
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Speed depends on a lot of things, especially temperature, but also strain, nutrient levels, pH, even atmospheric pressure in the case of airlock activity. 65 to 68 is a general all-purpose temp; above there and some strains start getting their funk on.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I agree that all sounds well, except for the fact that it is only a first batch. Time for the 2nd and 3rd.

I snuck a thimbleful of my mead and I think the horse has diabetes! I have made fruit wine many times and it never tasted this rank! I should have gotten enough for a hydrometer reading I guess. It is still working too much to rack into a carboy I think. I am prepared to give it all the time it needs and i can see it will be no time soon.