Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Veil Observation. Your Opinion?

17K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Mbeck 
#1 ·
I have two veils that I use from time to time. One is a yellow veil that is attached to a pull-over jacket, and the other is a black veil that I drape over my head and shoulders.

When I am using the yellow veil I find it harder to see larvae and eggs in the comb, but when I wear the black they show up better, and I can see them clearly.

Any reason for this? Does the yellow mess with your depth perception, or something along those lines?

#2 ·
The yellow is harder to see through. The black is easier b/c your eyes ignore it - like wearing sunglasses. It has no color to distract you. Black absorbs light rather than reflecting it. Yellow absorbs all but the yellow spectrum, reflecting it back into the world. The ease of sight through black screen/netting is why some veils that you buy have black screen to see through and yellow netting to cinch around your neckline. I hope that makes sense...

#5 ·
All veils that I am aware of use black screen though the netting on top or bottom may be various colors. The "holy grail" of veils that no one has developed that I am aware of is one that uses screen that is black on the inside for ease of viewing through and white on the outside so as not to incite the bees so much. BTW I use a tulle veil that I bought a number of years ago thinking it would come in handy for occasional use, started using it and never quit, it is so much lighter and cooler than anything else I have ever used though it does take a bit to get used to the occasional wrinkle that can affect your vision. I tell others that there are only two kinds of beekeepers: Those that use a tulle veil and those that are too stubborn to try one.

#8 ·
I knew it! I got it from Dadant's and always keep it on a ventilated helmet. It's the type with elastic on the bottom, rarely get a bee inside and amazingly durable (believe me I have abused it for years). They are also so easy to clean up. And they are only $10. But wait theres more, order today and receive a second amazing Tulle veil absolutely free for only a small shipping and handling fee.....

#10 · (Edited)
Not sure but you might have to order in the next 20 minutes to get the deal:). If you havent used a veil with elastic on the bottom before they are a little "funky" to get into properly but well worth it once it is on. When first using it I assumed that you would be vulnerable to stings if/when the mesh touched your face but found that it rarely happens. There are two strings that tie to a loop in the back and then pass through 2 D rings. You have to put an arm between the loop and the ring on each side and above the string so that the strings actually go under your arms (hope that is clear). The result is a nice gentle seal with the strings passing from the back of your neck under your arms and back up to the front of your neck. The only time I ever have any bee leakage is if you are wearing extra layers of bulky clothing and you don't pull it a little tighter to compensate. In that situation it is also helpful if you have someone pull it over the back of your collar for you kind of like getting a jersey pulled over your shoulder pads if you ever played football. I wouldnt recommend it for use while applying oil based paints though.;)

#12 ·
Yes! Another member of the "Secret Order of the Tulle" That makes 3 that I am aware of. I have to confess that I have been in and out of mine a thousand times and I have never thought of just pulling it down off my hat. That has got to be the best labor saving idea I have ever read on here. ;)

#13 ·
I use a yellow tulle veil on occasion but i dont tie it, I just stick the strings in the breast pocket of my shirt and do my thing. It's only been used 3 times, but I like the ease of use with a baseball cap. The only drawback is the bees like to hit the dark part of my hair at the back of the cap since the veil cant cover it lol

#16 ·
Hey there. I use the "hatless folding veil" and absolutely hate it. It mashes up against my face, and I can't see up while working on a ladder doing trap-outs. I have a helmet and am intrigued by the "magic of the tulle". But why are there string tops that fit around the helmet and elastic? Which wears out faster, and does the string tighten at the top at all?

#19 ·
All veils are not equal in visibility

I have two old fashioned veils I've had for almost forty years (from Dadant and somebody else). The Dadant veil has more space between the vertical and horizontal threads....I use that one, it is a lot easier to see through. The older I get, the more important visibility is. :)

#20 ·
#23 ·
Re: All veils are not equal in visibility

In a couple of the older posts in the thread there was discussion of the color of the screen material. Susie uses a non-metallic material for the screens in her Golden Bee suits and jackets. It is a black material but she has apparently figured a way to coat the outside surface with a white "paint". This picture is of the jacket before it ever saw my bee yard...there are a few spots showing black through now in the front surface of the screen (it's been used and abused since this picture and a wash wouldn't hurt it!!! :eek:)...it will need some touch-ups...shoe polish? Ed

#27 ·
Welcome Tom!! Wear your Tulle with pride. Still working on details and a site for the big convention. Security will be a concern as I am expecting demonstrations from folding veil traditionalists. Yes its true, the secret handshake will be demonstrated only after the oath has been taken. I am working on Barry to give the keynote address on his experience with the new Brushy Mountain version.

#36 ·
I am working on Barry to give the keynote address on his experience with the new Brushy Mountain version.
As a primer, I give a comparison of products first. Experience between the two will come soon.

This, the Dadant tulle veil. The material is heavier and more stiff that the Mann Lake tulle. The bottom of the veil has elastic in it and is quite firm fitting. My hat doesn't have any hooks to keep the top elastic from riding up, but so far it has never slipped off during use. I plan to attach it to the hat with some wire in several places. I always have to keep adjusting it before use.

The drawstring on this veil uses two D rings on the front to loop the cords through. This pulls the front down tight against your chest. I like this design, just wish the elastic was a bit less tight. Very bee tight.

This, the Mann Lake tulle veil. Netting is very fine, light, and very flexible. Haven't used this one yet, but I think I'm going to really like this feature of being very light. The top elastic fits the helmet quite well. Don't think I'll need to wire it in place. I like the bottom drawstring that it has no elastic in it. I've worn other veils with this style drawstring around the neck. Not always bee proof (bees seem to know right where that little gap is by the ring), but a trade off I'm willing to have. I think it will seal around the neck better than other veils due to how fine and light the fabric is.

Drawstring design around the neck. My only concern for a commercial guy like you Jim, is if this netting would hold up to the rigors of your work. For the price though, you can hardly beat it.

Jim, was it you who mentioned Mann Lake economy leather gloves in a post? I ordered a pair and looks like a great value. It's very hard for me to find gloves big enough to fit my big hands. Their XL fit very well, unlike other XL's I've had that still feel tight.

#30 ·
It is far easier to demonstrate but I will do my best. The tighter elastic is for your hat (a helmet with clips to hold it is my preference). The tied loop goes in the back. First put the veil on and then put your arms through and above the string between the back loop and the D rings. After looping them around you and tying them where you wish you can customize it by cutting off any excess string that you wish. Now you can tug the back of the veil down by hooking your thumbs around the string where it passes under your arms if it didn't go over your collar properly. This type of tie is quite bee tight unless you have a lot of bulky layers on in which case you have to cinch it down pretty tightly. Welcome to the "Order of the Tulle"

#31 ·
When they come newly shipped, I don't think any of the cords are through any of the D rings, so, just to expand on the first step, rings in the front, cords down the center of your back. Bring one cord under your left armpit and through the left ring. Repeat for the right side. Now around your back and tie together in front. We don't want to get too detailed as there is a lot of secrecy in the Order of the Tulle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.