Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: All veils are not equal in visibility

Why is the mesh so fine on most veils? Seems to me an eighth inch mesh would be a lot easier to see through.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Default Re: Veil Observation. Your Opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've had mine 9 months now and I'm a convert. The elastic around the neck seems excessively tight, but I've accepted that. I plan to meet up with Jim one of these days so I can perfect the tulle handshake.
    Welcome to the cult errrr I mean club. Did you go with the Dadant or the Brushy Mountain version?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

In a couple of the older posts in the thread there was discussion of the color of the screen material. Susie uses a non-metallic material for the screens in her Golden Bee suits and jackets. It is a black material but she has apparently figured a way to coat the outside surface with a white "paint". This picture is of the jacket before it ever saw my bee yard...there are a few spots showing black through now in the front surface of the screen (it's been used and abused since this picture and a wash wouldn't hurt it!!! )...it will need some touch-ups...shoe polish? Ed

Jim, Dadant. Do you know the difference between the two? They're not made by the same manufacturer? I could use another one anyway, so I'll order one from BM and compare.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've had mine 9 months now and I'm a convert. The elastic around the neck seems excessively tight, but I've accepted that. I plan to meet up with Jim one of these days so I can perfect the tulle handshake.
    I'm now in the Tulle club. The awesome part, too, about this veil is that you can practically wear it with any brimmed hat of your choosing (I popped it on my straw fedora just to see ... my wife thought I was nuts). I can't believe how light this thing is. Taking me a bit to get used to it, but finally, I can see when I look up and am working overhead, side to side, with no obstructions or painful mesh smashing up against my nose. I'm a convert.

Tom -

Please send your membership dues to Jim. We're saving up for a tulle convention. You'll have to know the secret handshake to get in though.
    Regards, Barry

Welcome Tom!! Wear your Tulle with pride. Still working on details and a site for the big convention. Security will be a concern as I am expecting demonstrations from folding veil traditionalists. Yes its true, the secret handshake will be demonstrated only after the oath has been taken. I am working on Barry to give the keynote address on his experience with the new Brushy Mountain version.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Welcome Tom!! Wear your Tulle with pride. Still working on details and a site for the big convention. Security will be a concern as I am expecting demonstrations from folding veil traditionalists. Yes its true, the secret handshake will be demonstrated only after the oath has been taken. I am working on Barry to give the keynote address on his experience with the new Brushy Mountain version.
    Fellas, I am truly looking forward to it (even if I hear snickers from my family as I walk out the house)! Jim, send me the membership dues particulars and the illustrated brochure on the handshake.

Being inspired by this thread I just received a tulle veil from Dadant - which did not come with directions for use. Any pointers? Like which end is up for example.

It is far easier to demonstrate but I will do my best. The tighter elastic is for your hat (a helmet with clips to hold it is my preference). The tied loop goes in the back. First put the veil on and then put your arms through and above the string between the back loop and the D rings. After looping them around you and tying them where you wish you can customize it by cutting off any excess string that you wish. Now you can tug the back of the veil down by hooking your thumbs around the string where it passes under your arms if it didn't go over your collar properly. This type of tie is quite bee tight unless you have a lot of bulky layers on in which case you have to cinch it down pretty tightly. Welcome to the "Order of the Tulle"

When they come newly shipped, I don't think any of the cords are through any of the D rings, so, just to expand on the first step, rings in the front, cords down the center of your back. Bring one cord under your left armpit and through the left ring. Repeat for the right side. Now around your back and tie together in front. We don't want to get too detailed as there is a lot of secrecy in the Order of the Tulle.
    Regards, Barry

Welcome to the "Order of the Tulle"
    All hail the Loyal Order of the Tulle...

Now, when do you show me the grip?

There seems be some very important people in this group.
    http://blog.greatlookz.com/tulle-vei...f-the-century/

Notice how they didn't show you how she tied her veil! More secrecy.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    There seems be some very important people in this group.
    http://blog.greatlookz.com/tulle-vei...f-the-century/
    With my new Order of the Tulle veil, I now bow in front of my hives and say "M'Ladies" before each inspection.

I am working on Barry to give the keynote address on his experience with the new Brushy Mountain version.
    As a primer, I give a comparison of products first. Experience between the two will come soon.

This, the Dadant tulle veil. The material is heavier and more stiff that the Mann Lake tulle. The bottom of the veil has elastic in it and is quite firm fitting. My hat doesn't have any hooks to keep the top elastic from riding up, but so far it has never slipped off during use. I plan to attach it to the hat with some wire in several places. I always have to keep adjusting it before use.

The drawstring on this veil uses two D rings on the front to loop the cords through. This pulls the front down tight against your chest. I like this design, just wish the elastic was a bit less tight. Very bee tight.

This, the Mann Lake tulle veil. Netting is very fine, light, and very flexible. Haven't used this one yet, but I think I'm going to really like this feature of being very light. The top elastic fits the helmet quite well. Don't think I'll need to wire it in place. I like the bottom drawstring that it has no elastic in it. I've worn other veils with this style drawstring around the neck. Not always bee proof (bees seem to know right where that little gap is by the ring), but a trade off I'm willing to have. I think it will seal around the neck better than other veils due to how fine and light the fabric is.

Drawstring design around the neck. My only concern for a commercial guy like you Jim, is if this netting would hold up to the rigors of your work. For the price though, you can hardly beat it.

Jim, was it you who mentioned Mann Lake economy leather gloves in a post? I ordered a pair and looks like a great value. It's very hard for me to find gloves big enough to fit my big hands. Their XL fit very well, unlike other XL's I've had that still feel tight.
    Regards, Barry

Well there goes my keynote address. I have actually found the back loop on the Dadant veil to be a weak point. I have had to resew mine and replaced it with a plastic ring. One other nice feature of these veils is that you can throw them in the washing machine with your work clothes and they come out looking great.

Hopefully it still comes with directions for use and a lot of secret information including the "tulle handshake".
    I received a Tulle veil this week but no instructions on secret handshake or membership information.

I also ordered one of these.
    http://www.ekobeekeeping.com/bee-vei...-bee-veil.html
    Nice people, free shipping and fairly inexpensive. It's similar to the one I use now but I think I might like this one better.

I haven't tried either one yet so only time will tell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12