Hybrid View

Default Veil Observation. Your Opinion?

I have two veils that I use from time to time. One is a yellow veil that is attached to a pull-over jacket, and the other is a black veil that I drape over my head and shoulders.

When I am using the yellow veil I find it harder to see larvae and eggs in the comb, but when I wear the black they show up better, and I can see them clearly.

Any reason for this? Does the yellow mess with your depth perception, or something along those lines?

Default Re: Veil Observation. Your Opinion?

The yellow is harder to see through. The black is easier b/c your eyes ignore it - like wearing sunglasses. It has no color to distract you. Black absorbs light rather than reflecting it. Yellow absorbs all but the yellow spectrum, reflecting it back into the world. The ease of sight through black screen/netting is why some veils that you buy have black screen to see through and yellow netting to cinch around your neckline. I hope that makes sense...

The black will be more likely to be attacked if you have really hot bees and the yellow less. But you can see through the black better, as you have observed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Along the lines of what Michael said, when I was reading up on africanized honeybees it was recommended to use lighter coloured veils as opposed to black.

All veils that I am aware of use black screen though the netting on top or bottom may be various colors. The "holy grail" of veils that no one has developed that I am aware of is one that uses screen that is black on the inside for ease of viewing through and white on the outside so as not to incite the bees so much. BTW I use a tulle veil that I bought a number of years ago thinking it would come in handy for occasional use, started using it and never quit, it is so much lighter and cooler than anything else I have ever used though it does take a bit to get used to the occasional wrinkle that can affect your vision. I tell others that there are only two kinds of beekeepers: Those that use a tulle veil and those that are too stubborn to try one.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Last I checked www.beeworks.com was offering black and silver veils. The silver, was for AHB areas or very hot bees. The black was for typical bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Well there goes my keynote address. I have actually found the back loop on the Dadant veil to be a weak point. I have had to resew mine and replaced it with a plastic ring. One other nice feature of these veils is that you can throw them in the washing machine with your work clothes and they come out looking great.