Default Can I start a nuc and get them to make a queen?

I have a 10 frame box with a 10 frame super my poor little bees are trying to guard, The deep is not full of comb yet. So I could theoretically pull the super off, it does have newly drawn comb probably
    filled with sugar water. I could move those frames to a nuc, put a couple of frames of capped brood and some bees in it, put it on a bottom board with a telescoping lid, and in a week or so add a frame of uncapped brood, and they might make a queen? It's still hot here for another 4 weeks minimum, possibly 12 weeks, do I have time?

I'm off today. Work is getting busy so I will be checking the computer often. Robbers are on the outside of the robber screen, going to get sugar when Costco opens. If I have to open-feed, well that empty nuc box of mine is looking mighty attractive. (it's been out as a bait hive for a week) And the best way to get experience, is to get experience.....But I don't want to lose more bees.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Default Re: Can I start a nuc and get them to make a queen?

Where I live its about the end of the window of opportunity to raise a queen, & get them going. I'm in USDA zone 9.
    You'd be better off with a store bought queen, this late in the year you need very localized advise.
    Dan

Thank you Dan.

Well it sounds exciting and fun. And I wouldn't even know where to get a store bought queen, and I am in a dearth. I just want to experiment and learn.

Maybe I should rephrase the question. With only 3 or 4 frames in the deep occupied by bees, should I drop the occupied frames in the super down into the deep, and remove the super, to prevent / reduce pests?

Gypsi
    Last edited by Gypsi; 09-11-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: manners
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

If there's brood up in the super then move it down and consolidate. With only 4 frames of bees making a split will tax your hive too much. Get them through winter then split when a good flow is ongoing.

Last time I opened the hive there wasn't brood in the super, but they were finally storing sugar water up there. Maybe 2 frames of sugar water. 6 empty frames in the deep, still consolidate and shorten the hive? (given the wind around here it might be a consideration, and today, I have the time)

Sounds like the hive is a little weak, I wouldn't try to start a nuc with them.
    If you have one deep, & 1 medium on top as you're hive configuration, they will need that medium for winter honey/syrup stores.
    Dan