Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford V10 problems

Any other Ford 2010 V10 owners on here? I've had V10's ever since they were made back in 1999. Never had problems with them, until now. I've had my 2010 F350 in the shop for oil leak 3 times now. It's currently been in the shop all this week and still sits there. Turns out the oil pans are defective. They keep ordering in a new one only to find that every one has the same problem. The top edge where the gasket sits have ripples in the finish. I guess they calling in a big dog tomorrow from Ford to address the problem.

Anyone else having oil leaking between the engine and trans? The service tech said I'm not the only one having this problem.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Ford V10 problems

ditch the v10 and the ford lol,.. get a diesel, there nothing but gas hogs, i have 2008 gmc 3500 with alison trany, all i can say is wow

Get TOYOTA The BEST no leaks no problems no shop visits lol

I realize your original quesiton wasn't seeking advice on getting a new vehicle, but you might want to read this article:http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...ke_Diesel.html

Not only is the diesel more powerful in all aspects but get-up-and-go (which I mitigate in mine with a power programmer), but the longevity of the engine far surpasses the gasoline engine. Why we don't use diesel in the US more baffles me. It is much more efficent.

I also have no leaks, however keep in mind every manufacturer can have problems, sometimes just isolated to a few here and there, not the entire model. If there is a known issue with all the vechicles of your models oil pan it will be addressed (although not always quickly). Anyone who claims a blanket statement that one company is better than the rest is only basing it on their unique experience. (You can find something wrong with everything...eventually.)
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

I'm not interested in a diesel, I'm not interested in a Toyota. I already did my homework before I bought the truck. I do love our turbo diesel VW though! It appears in this case it is a manufacturing flaw on a specific part. Has no bearing on the engine performance per se (diesel vs. gas). I'm just curious if any other 2010 V10 owners are having this problem.

I agree, Jim, with your last sentence. I'm no more a Ford fan than a Chevy or Dodge fan. I buy trucks that fight my needs, not based on brand.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneVBS View Post
    ditch the v10 and the ford lol,.. get a diesel, there nothing but gas hogs, i have 2008 gmc 3500 with alison trany, all i can say is wow
    At least you got a good transmission out of your purchase, but it isnt worth what you paid for the truck!

I have a friend thats a car dealer, and he avoids the V10s like the plague, says he cant give them away. But there fairly new so not much feedback on that year im sure. there are forums that you can visit with questions like that.

But being that new its under warranty im sure.

Yes, it's under warranty. But it's been up on the lift since Tuesday and manager said today that they found a good pan and will have it Monday, so they will have had the truck for a whole week. I have loved the V10 since it was first offered in 1999. 2010 was the last year you could get it, unless you were buying a fleet. I wish I had kept my 2007. They've burdened it down with too much "stuff" in 2010. Oh well, next truck will be something different. I'll see how the new V8 is working out. I think Chevy is finally getting close to the load capacity of the Ford's. One reason I haven't bought Chevy for many years.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Viking Ranch View Post
    Why we don't use diesel in the US more baffles me. It is much more efficent.
    It all depends on what you mean by efficent, sure they get better milage but thats about where the "efficent" ends.Go buy a starter,lift pump filters ect all are on avg 50% higher than gas, speaking of gas much cheaper than diesel.

If you buy used like I do, something with 150,000 miles or so diesel works out, but for the avg guy that buys new keeps his truck for 5-7 years he/she will lose every time on a diesel.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I hear you on the V-10 Barry. I tried to price one last fall in a 550 and the salesman told me I don't even want to consider it and he proceeded to give me this big sales pitch on the new Ford diesel and then priced it about $5,000 over the same sized truck in a Dodge. He told me I would get 20 mpg empty and 15 towing and I told him that people that come up with numbers like that must be either mathematically challenged or delusional. I ended up buying a Dodge on price alone and havent regretted it. I have never heard anything bad about the V-10's and since I am more of a dollar and cents guy than a horsepower guy I wanted to do the math and see if the gas made more sense. I am still not convinced that it doesn't. And as far as the longevity I believe that is something of a myth. Diesels might have a slightly longer lifespan but if you have any problems you better be heading to the bank to take out a loan. I know I am a little off topic but thought you needed some backup for your decision to go with a gas engine. Hope they get it fixed for you, I know how frustrating that can be.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Barry, the oil pan problem has affected the diesel engines as well.
    Not sure on the others, but on the 7.3L diesel V8, the engine has to be pulled in order to replace.
    No other way.
    When you get your truck home with the new pan, give it a good coating of something or else it will rot right out.
    This is a common problem from your area where they salt the roads. Salt, in combination with cheap @$$ pans equals drip, drip, drip!
    It would be nice if you could have the pan coated prior to instalation.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

I also have a 07 3/4 ton GMC yukon XL 6L and I get far better mileage on my diesel when hauling heavy loads. But again diesel is more per gallon

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Barry, the oil pan problem has affected the diesel engines as well.
    Not sure on the others, but on the 7.3L diesel V8, the engine has to be pulled in order to replace.
    Harry -

I just came from the Ford shop and talked to the mechanic about the diesel oil leaks and rust problem. He said they only see it with the 7.3 engines.

My truck is still on the lift, now going on 7 days. They finally got a good pan by taking it off a new truck. Now they wait for an o-ring, but should be back together today. Here is the old pan. You can see all the ripples in the flange on the right half of the pan.

Regards, Barry

Amazing. And I was seriously considering a new F-450 Super Duty V8. Man. Why can't they get there stuff together?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Mark -

The new engines could be just fine. Still makes one uneasy.

The mechanic also said they were seeing oil leaks from the pans where the spot welds are. The bottom photo shows an internal shelf on the right half. It's spot welded in two places on the far right (front of the pan). When they ship these from the factory, they stack a bunch of pans together and the weight of them sitting on that shelf crack the welds and that is where the oil leaks out.
    Regards, Barry

So Ford figured a way to save .10 a unit on delivery costs and you are without a truck for a week. Oooops, hopefully quality hasnt become job 2.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Got a 2008 regular cab Cheby pick up ( only 1 gas tank ) sitting for a week now waiting for a fuel pump. None to be had in the states in the GM system.

Ed, are you suggesting I should have brought it to you and had it all taken care of in about two hours?
    They tried a sealant last time and it still leaked.
    Regards, Barry

Back in the day
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast