Default Beekeeping in Poland

I have a friend that returned from a visit to Poland a few weeks back. She took these images of local beehives being transported. I've never seen hives like this before.

Regards, Barry

Default Re: Beekeeping in Poland

Here come the "Polock" jokes
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Those are not beehives, they are outhouses for smurfs!

I don't know how far I would drive that trailer.

People in those countries even use motorcycles to transport hives. Two at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    I don't know how far I would drive that trailer.
    At least he has working tail lights....which is more than I can say for a lot of folks here.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I actually like the design of the trailer. It would make transporting hives very easy, as you don't need to take them off the trailer. Pull up, drop off the trailer, level it, and be gone. Just walk down the middle of the trailer to do maintenance.

Those must be some deep frames.....

A little off topic; I was looking at some old bee magazines, and in the June 2009 ABJ "Classroom" section, Jerry Hayes says, "Poland has a great system of providing all beekeepers in the country with artificially inseminated queens, so that genetic traits can be controlled and diversity maintained."

I wonder how many beekeepers there are in Poland...

I wonder if they even use frames. Perhaps just top bars.
    Regards, Barry

Looks like he is putting his money in his pocket not in equipment.
    Cheap car
    A couple cheap trailers for each yard

An American beekeeper might approach the problem of moving hives differently.
    Bobcat
    Trailer for bobcat
    Brand new 4x4 truck to pull every thing!

No DOT in Poland.....obviously.

BM
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JOHN F. KENNEDY -

I just don't like the way the trailer is bowing. There are some beeks over here who use trailers to save on and off loading, although I would think the whole shebang would be vulnerable to theft.

Aren't those the types of hives that you access by a door that is the entire back panel? You then slide the frames out horizontally. I've seen pictures of some like that used years ago in the US.

I have been there and seen the inside of them. They are a double deep aprox. 18" x 18" and about 24" high. most of beeks in Poland don't have a problem with transport of bees on trailer of that kind because they just slide them off the trailer on a board. If you noticed the complete trailer is constructed with steel and is welded, so there is no concern about it falling apart. Yes they do have D.O.T. it's the Police and they monitor all the vehicles and their safety. Poland is a country about the size of Texas and the beeks don't go far with their bees for pollination.
    I have been there twice last two years and got to go to a supply house and got some of their foundation, It is of better quality than what we have availabl here, they are very cautious about the melting temperature of the wax. I built a hive that is higher than the hive body we use here and put on some regular suppers and put the bees in and what a difference it makes. The bees do a lot better and faster job with no swarming for the last two years. High production of honey and faster than my other hives. Now I only use this system and have built it for two other beeks and they love it.
    AND THIS IS NOT A POLISH JOKE !!! :-)

Central of beekeeping union bought trailer like that http://www.grodziskodolne.pl/mambots...e93ceb5679.jpg .Cost of one is around 8000 $ problem is that trailer You can borrow to one two days for transportation . I must drive 100 mil to borrow a trailer (and secend 100 to give them back trailer ) Its stupid..8000 $ & from trailer like that its another stupid.(becouse that 10 yers track )http://allegro.pl/renault-premium-40...843079615.html cost similar cash! Honey cost 3 to 5 $ all beekeepers live from honey only No pollination income no goverment support exept few $ to war with Varroa & (you can buy devices for beekeeping like trailer (he he http://www.beesource.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif) extractor (if you had a luck -no one from your local union participate to buy any device -simply is a grant to separation betwen the local beekeper .Buyng device beekeper pay 50% and from grant is rest if he luck .ITS BEEKEEPING IN POLAND

I'm not sure I understand?
    You receive $ for treatment from the government and grant money to extract your crop?

In treatment of bees from Varroa 80% & for buying NEW device (NOT ALL CASE )50% . Bees union - mean government participates in costs 50% 0r 80 % to Your. But is bound by the principles ...

Quote Originally Posted by mvan View Post
    Those must be some deep frames.....

A little off topic; I was looking at some old bee magazines, and in the June 2009 ABJ "Classroom" section, Jerry Hayes says, "Poland has a great system of providing all beekeepers in the country with artificially inseminated queens, so that genetic traits can be controlled and diversity maintained."

I wonder how many beekeepers there are in Poland...
    I did some traveling in Poland this summer via train and I saw quite a lot of hives throughout the country. I expect beekeeping is quite prevalent, especially considering the large agricultural share of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by tedw200 View Post
    I have been there and seen the inside of them. They are a double deep aprox. 18" x 18" and about 24" high.....
    .....The bees do a lot better and faster job with no swarming for the last two years. High production of honey and faster than my other hives. Now I only use this system and have built it for two other beeks and they love it.
    AND THIS IS NOT A POLISH JOKE !!! :-)
    What kind of frames you use in brood box? Custom made? Do you have plans and dimensions for "Polish hive " you built?

Few digits about beekeeping in Poland.44 999 - number of entities involved in maintaining colonies in POLAND.1 123 356 - state of bee colonies in October 2009 (according to data from the registers of district veterinarians) .14 kg - average yield colonies in 2009 year.////About Hives --Most of my Polish friends using four types of Dadant hives, Warsaw extended or compoment hives. Dadant frame size 435mm x 300mm its 17.4 "x12". Warsaw extended is the same frame of Dadant (frame is turned 180 degres).Warsaw standard its 240x445 9.6 "x17, 8." Most of compoment hives have small frames- Ostrowska.The hives what tedw200 saw in Poland was probably Dadant with two or one compoment (half dadant -under basic hive ) Basic Dadant is in attachment photo.If You wont info about size &build of Dadant I could find it ...
    Last edited by Wit; 10-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.