Default Something lit them up today!

Got home on a cool, cloudy day and went out to check the bees, expecting to see very little activity. What a surprise, clouds of very heavy bees crashing into each other going in and out. Very heavy coming in, some of them crash-land on the landing board and slide off!

Either they are into the goldenrod that is just starting to bloom or the late soybeans across the road have started to make nectar. I'll have to look in the hive tomorrow if it's warm enough and not raining, or Sat. afternoon and see if they need that other super....

Oddly they are still really only using the spot where the entrance resrictor was when I starte the package this spring.

Peter

Default Re: Something lit them up today!

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Oddly they are still really only using the spot where the entrance resrictor was when I starte the package this spring.
    I noted the same type of behaviour earlier this summer on one of my weaker hives in which I'd previously installed an entrance reducer and subsequently removed after about a month when they were stronger.
    The ladies had built comb/etc on the bottoms of the frames in the bottom brood box, and this area was much more "closed off" from the landing board entrance than the "open highway" where the restricted entrance had been.

Default Re: Something lit them up today!

Look at the wear carpets in your house, or notice how you walk down a corridor or sidewalk-- you have certain habits that seem reasonable to you, but a bee would think was pretty strange-- perhaps you tend to open the right side door of double doors, even when no one is coming from the other direction. They have both habits, possibly passed down to successive generations, and reasons we don't know-- maybe the comb near that spot has been accepted more as transit comb or a food transfer area (yes, I'm making that up. It's just an example). Greg