Default Help Cow Killer Wasp

Help I saw this alien, crazy looking bug at my apiary. It was so weird looking I had to look it up and I found what it is. A horrid creature called a cow killer. it is a wasp but looks like an ant ,and is said to have a sting strong enough to kill cattle. Well guess what they kill bees any suggestions??? I am going out right now and pouring what borax I have in the crevise I saw it crawl in. It was such a odd looking bug, pretty in fact that I was stunned enough not to be fast enough to squish it with my shoe.

http://www.semiantics.com/?p=100

Default Re: Help Cow Killer Wasp

lol and you wount sqush it with your shoe they are tough enough to need a hammer to squish

John will it kill my bees? that thing was like an inch long. very intimidating

nope the adults feed on nector and such and lay their eggs on other ground dwelling wasps

It's also known as a Velvet ant.
    You will pick one up once.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

thank you john I was worried and everything on the internet was not making me feel better. the name alone LOL

Hi ernie,

I doubt I will grab one Might attempt to capture one with a jar if I see another. They are very pretty. Now I feel bad for pouring all that borax down its home. Maybe it will live and control the yellow jackets

if you ever get stung by one you will never feel sorry for them again

It's home wouldn't happen to be about 3/8th inch vertical tunnel with a neat cone? Something's made a house near my driveway, where we washed my grandson's bike, and it isn't a fire ant mound. I miss the native ants of long ago, was kinda hoping for some of them. Whoever it is wasn't home when i knocked in a bit of dirt, or chose not to come out.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    It's home wouldn't happen to be about 3/8th inch vertical tunnel with a neat cone?
    Yes, that's very possible. I've seem more of them this year than in the last ten years. Other than possibly stepping on one barefoot, I don't worry about them. And johnblagg is right, it takes a hammer or very persistent shoe or boot to dispatch them
    Jim

I've seen them off and on all my life. I've always left them alone, I've never been stung by one and they never caused any problems.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Velvet ants or cow killer ants are prevalent in East Texas. I have never heard of anyone being stung by one. They are handsome creatures and do a job on yellow jackets. Nuff said.
    Last edited by lazy shooter; 09-07-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Those ants are prevalent in East Texas. My wife has many relatives there, and I have never heard of anyone being stung by a cow killer ant. They're handsome ants and do a job on yellow jackets. They are like our rattle snakes in that they somewhat scary but serve a useful purpose.

Pain wise, they are worse than a bumblebee if you have ever been stung by one of those.

Well my yellow jacket trap is failing - moved near the hive, still no yj's in it. No bees either. So if the cow killer is here and likes yellow jackets, go cow killer. I will have to watch where I step when barefoot. (mainly on those midnight runs to turn off a garden hose)
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

The cow ants dont seem to bother the bees but these guys here (robber fly) do a number on my bees.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...oLu9rAl67riVB6

All my life I have run across those that were non-winged. But this is the first time I have seen winged Cow Killer Wasp. Being a first I captured one in a jar. It stung itself and died. It would rather die than be kept in a jar. Now I even leave them alone. When I was a young feller about ten years old, I learned never to pick up a large beautiful velvet, scarlet and black looking ant. I actually think I remember a flash of light in my eyes when it introduced it's power on me. LOL

In the old days, when mowing with an open station tractor I was stung many times by a bumble bee. You move over their nest one pass and the next pass they come to see you. They are the most painful sting I have ever had. A scorpion sting hurts like hell for a short period of time, then it is gone. Those bumble bees will get your attention. and keep it.