Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Russell

Default Re: For Dr. Robert Russell

There are always unhappy people in the world but, they should not expect someone to pay for their misfortune. I purchased queens for Dr. Russell this spring that have performed less than expected. I have not, nor will I approach them about their production because we have had less than 4" of rain here in Texas since March. Should have had upwards of 20". Ponds are dry, expecting 30% loss of all trees, no grass or forbs to be found. People with late shipments could have far worse problems.
    Dr. Russell has developed queens with specific traits that benefit people in specific parts of the country due to climate,or other varables. I for one, will remain a loyal customer as long they will sell to hobby/sideliners. They have done a extraordinary job, recovering from their problems, both health and weather related. Dr. Russell deserves the utmost respect for the wealth of information he has bestowed on us. He has unshelfishly given us way more information than he probably should have. Many things that probably should be treated as trade secrets.
    With all of that said, people with petty problems need to step back and take a look at all the good they have done for us and the industry.
    Great Job Dr. Russell !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beeG View Post
    threads like this helped me to decide I will never become a queen breeder It just seems too many new people with expectations that do not meet reality. I am now leaning to honey production. Funny I at first was more interested in queen production, but not any more.
    Yeah, but then people will be complaining to you that your honey is too sweet or that it crystalizes after 6 months. I got fat eating your honey, I'm gonna sue you. You promised you would have honey for me by may 30th and here it is June 5th and you are finally getting me honey. No Fair. Que Sera...
    rod

It isn't just being a queen breeder. Selling anything on the internet is such a major headache that each year I manage to shrink my online store a little more, and a little more. If I did not need credit card processing for one local account that absolutely will not touch paypal processing, I'd have shut the whole thing down in December 2007.

But I do get to help people deal with their problems, and some of my regular distant customers are pretty good people, I find that helps offset the aggravation. For Dr. Russell to continue to ship USPS and keep that option open, well kudos. (from one that's been shipping dry and wet goods USPS since 1999)

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

billiebee,
    Apparently you didn't get satisfaction so you brought this to public attention. What do you want from us? What will satisfy you?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Can't believe that someone would complain because their bees were a few days late. I got several shipments from Russell this year and only one was "on time." As long as the queens are alive, healthy and ready to lay, what more do you want... it would never have occurred to me to ask for shipping refund... just glad to have live queens.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What do you want from us?
    Perhaps nothing. I wish members would be slow to jump in on these threads and add their .02 cents worth and instead let the mentioned parties work it out. I'm sure none of us know all the details and particulars, yet we feel compelled to make statements instead of asking questions.

Glad Mark asked some questions.
    Regards, Barry

the bee business is very small compared to most. a lot of damage can be done to a supplier by what I would call a bad customer. If some one is going to bash a supplier they better have the experience to back up their criticism of someone. most of the time this is not the case.

It does seem that we have heard from both parties and a lot of opinions and thoughts from others. Years ago the local "authorities" attempted to take my family's business property from us by the use of eminent domain. This went on for about a year. Thankfully they dropped the ball on several things and they lost their bid at taking it from us. My brother and I were still angry and was discussing what "we ought to do". My father looked at the two of us and simply said "The more you stir it, the more it stinks". That was all it took to quieten the two of us down, my father knew it was time to move on. My father died a couple of months later having lived the last year of his life with the cloud of losing his business of over 50 years to the city, but yet he had no regrets. There comes a time when you just have to let things go. As I tell folks, if you keep looking back you're subject to walk off a cliff.

Ed

Dr. Bob sent me some queens and let me know when he posted them. They made there way here eventually, once they got in the hands of the USPS. Once they were in the hands of the USPS, I don't see how Doc had any responsibility or control on how fast they moved along. All three came thru just fine and I love their brood patterns.

My wife sent a letter to my Son's Hockey Camp for Registration. Camp was in Canada. Never send bees via Certified Mail in Canada. It took three weeks to get that letter from here to somewhere just North of Toronto, 350 to 400 miles.

I would love it if people would cultivate an attitude of thankfulness for what they have. We have so much in this Nation. Well meaning good hearted people amongst those things.

We take too much for granted, don't we Mark?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    the bee business is very small compared to most. a lot of damage can be done to a supplier by what I would call a bad customer. If some one is going to bash a supplier they better have the experience to back up their criticism of someone. most of the time this is not the case.

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Wasson View Post
    An example of Dr. Russell shipping care. I couldn't have asked for better packaging when I went to the post office and picked them up.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMG_0239.jpg
    I love that message flier to the postal service you place on the orders Dr. Russell. I'm not a custormer but I can see you aren't a greedy guy like the world seems to be developing these days. I wish greedy people would just fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    We take too much for granted, don't we Mark?

Ed
    I'm sure I do. I don't know about you.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    if your queens arrive dead from other suppliers, they require you to pay for the replacements and the shipping for those replacements and they only replace queens that are dead upon arrival. We may be forced to join that crowd next season for the first time in our history due to those that have abused that policy...
    I sincerely hope that you continue your current policy. It is very reassuring to a buyer to know that the seller will stand behind his product 110%. For me, it makes me more willing to pay a higher price (which I know that you arn't interested in charging just for the sake of charging) and waiting even longer for the same product. I know it will get here, and I know it will be fantastic when it does. And if not, I already know you will fix it. It helps me sleep easy (not that I was losing too much sleep over my queen order, lol).

All that said, I completely understand if you move to the same policy that your competitors have. It is a crying shame that someone is interested in taking advantage of your policy and your business.

Default Re: Robert Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Beefarmer57 View Post
    I for one, will remain a loyal customer as long they will sell to hobby/sideliners. Dr. Russell deserves the utmost respect for the wealth of information he has bestowed on us. He has unshelfishly given us way more information than he probably should have. Many things that probably should be treated as trade secrets.
    I couldn't have said it better myself!

I will place all my orders with Dr. Russell as long as I can. I don't use him for emergency queens, as that's not the type of operation that he runs. Know that up front, plan in advance, and receive phenomenal genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I wish members would be slow to jump in on these threads and add their .02 cents worth and instead let the mentioned parties work it out.
    Since when did the moderator start discouraging participation IN A FORUM!

Oh wait, I forgot what site I was on . . . :P

Nice backhanded remark! Why don't you go back and read again what I wrote. Maybe it will help you remember next time what forum you are on.
    Regards, Barry

I read what you wrote Barry. That's why I quoted it (and I made sure not to "excessively quote" it, as that is against the forum rules). I see where you are coming from, but if the two parties are intended to
    instead let the mentioned parties work it out.
    they probably would have done so in PM form. By bringing it to the forum, in a thread, you are asking for participation. I don't understand why you would try to discourage this (unless, of course, it was aggressive, abusive, or demeaning). I thought it was a forum, and not a bulletin board where you post messages while specifically avoiding responses.

I'm sure none of us know all the details and particulars, yet we feel compelled to make statements instead of asking questions.
    I made statements about my own experiences, not about his details and particulars. Was this not posted in the "consumer reports" section? I don't understand what the problem is.

I believe that it is entirely possible that Barry was vocalizing wishes and not trying influencer or stifle real discussion. Just intelligent meaningful less rancorous discussion and debate.

I recall a Consumer Report "discussion" about an individual and their complaint. No one, until I actually called to one being complained about, gave any thouight to seeking "the whole story".

When complaints are posted, both complainer and complaintant should be brought into the discussion in order for us to have any real perspective at all. Like in the latest BetterBee gripe session in which it appears BetterBee did nothing wrong except perhaps Customer Relations. The complainer did get what they ordered after all.

i ordered 2 queens from mr russell and i was a bit perplexed about when i might receive them because i didn't get any email or anything. i sent him a pm on here and he immediately got them shipped out to me and even shipped them overnight. the envelope was a bit beat up but that was the fault of the post office. they were accepted quickly and i am very happy even though the beautiful carniolan must have died or was killed because they made a queen daughter for me. his queens are exceptional. i will be ordering more from him in the future. this was his first year selling to the masses and i'm sure it was stressful and i'm sure it will improve with time.