Default Add a super this late in the season?

First year beekeeper in southern Michigan, one hive with three mediums….a brood box, a mix of honey and brood and a honey super on top.
    Do I add another medium at this point in the season? And if I do, should I put it on top, or second-down, below the existing honey super?
    Any advice, much appreciated…..

Default Re: Add a super this late in the season?

Hugh, If there is any room left in any of the boxes I would not add another box. If all three boxes are completely full and the honey super is all capped honey then you might add a fourth box to give them something to do. If you give them a fourth box they would probably work it faster if it was second down. It was a high of 54 degrees yesterday here and I am only 110 miles southwest from you, What did you think of that temp change, 90 degrees and two days later high of 54? The golden rod is at peak and will be fading fast. You should think about taking the existing honey super off if your going to or leave it for the bee's for winter your choice. Should reduce your entrance soon and think about treating for mites if your going to do that. I lost both of my first year hives last year because I did not treat. If you leave your hive overwinter as a three medium hive it looks like your in good shape. Good Luck.
    "The true meaning of life is to plant tree's, which under whose shade you do not expect to sit" Nelson Henderson

Thank you Toms...I'm going to leave the existing super for the winter. I'll check next couple days to see if we're full, or if there's some room left to try a fourth box. Yeah....Michigan weather.....who knows what's next?

Cold, isn't it ? It's still Summer ! There should be plenty of season left for them to forage for nectar. Would only add a honey super if the other boxes are getting full.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

I doubt they would draw out another super at this point in time -- first frost is rolling up soon that far north (I lived in Sault Ste Marie -- first frost is usually about now, leaves are all down by the first weekend in October). The next fast moving cold front will likely be the first night below freezing, and you will need to have your hives ready for winter by then.

Check often to see what they do with it if you do put it on, and take it back off if they aren't making good progress on filling it in a week or two. If they do partially fill it, make sure it's on top by winter, not empty separating the brood from the honey in the full super.

Peter