Default feeder questions

I recently ordered some to feeders, they are wooden and 2 reservoirs with a slot in the middle open to the next box below and it appears there are 2 sets of bars that float in the reservoirs. My question is should any of this exposed wood be coated with something to keep the surgar water from soaking into the wood?

Default Re: feder questions

It's called a top feeder. The area that is exposed to moisture should be coated with either bees wax or parafin (can be found at the grocery store in the canning section).

Quote Originally Posted by vegasvalet View Post
    It's called a top feeder. The area that is exposed to moisture should be coated with either bees wax or parafin (can be found at the grocery store in the canning section).
    OK thanks. BTW I meant Feeder I spelled it wrong when I typed it. Thanks again

everybody has a better mousetrap but most feeders like this have 1/4 inch wire mesh at an angle from the center on both sides that the bees walk down to get syrup. with a float how do they get to it. think like a bee.

So maybe I should make the wire mesh instead of the float. Do you mean 1/4" diameter wire mesh or 1/4" squares?

ya it could be 1/8 inch mesh. It would start where the bees come up and taper down to the bottom. It gives the bees a ramp to walk down to the syrup. usually it's the width of the bee entrance of the feeder.

The floats work fine if the hive is level. If not, they can kill a lot of bees. Personally, I like this style a lot, as I can feed syrup on one side and pollen on the other, or as Winter approaches, syrup on one side and dry sugar on the other.