Default I'm looking for honey suppliers!

Hi All,

I have a site that is focused on the health benefits of honey and I believe that most benefits are only present when eating raw, unprocessed honey. I've had a lot of people ask me where to buy that kind of honey and I usually just say, "call a local beekeeper."

I would like to set up a store on my site and I'm looking for a couple of suppliers of unprocessed honey and bee products which I could promote. I'm looking for a couple of things:

1. I would like to set up a "drop ship" arrangement where I take payment from my customer and send you payment and shipping instructions.
    2. I would like a prearranged discount/finders fee/commission, whatever you would like to call it.
    3. My ideal supplier is low tech in their production methods, meaning they don't process their honey by heating or straining or some variation of those but high tech in their operation methods meaning they understand and want to use technology, they have quality pictures/graphics of their products or can get them, comfortable with email correspondence, have some way to account for the sales I make and they will be comfortable packaging and shipping their products across the country and to some international locations.
    4. I would like to have supply year round so those beekeepers in warm climates are of particular interest.
    5. I would be interested in carrying a variety of honey types and products to give me visitors the best selection.

My site is established and slowly increasing in traffic and I will be doing a lot more to achieve better rankings in the coming weeks and months. I anticipate that this will lead to a fair amount of sales moving forward.

I look forward to hearing from those of you who are interested. PM me if you would like to discuss further or have some questions!

To your success...Tim
    Sell Your Honey Free! Sell Honey

Default Re: I'm looking for honey suppliers!

No Takers?!?!!?!?

Tim, I thought I would respond publicly rather than by PM so that it might stir some discussion from other beeks. My honey fits well in the category you describe. I don't treat with any chemicals, don't heat my honey, filter only minimally. Problem is, I can only do that because I am a small hobbiest keeper, and right now I sell all of my honey before Christmas. I would hate to get started with you and then fail to deliver because I was out of honey.

Here are a few questions that might be of interest to others:
    1) What is your expected demand? 2) What pricing are you expecting to pay, or what fee will you charge? 3)Will you have a preferred packaging (glass or plastic, honey bears or pints, etc)

Depending on the answers to these questions, there may be some suppliers out there (me included) who can add extra hives (and help) knowing there is a market for the product.

I stand with Standman, I am moving from thirty up towards one hundred + hives this spring. hand extract, early harvest, great honey, but this year will sell out locally by christmas at $8 on the pint. With more info as to your expectations we might be interested this next season.
    John Hargrave Northwest Missouri

Looking at this on a comm. beekeeper side, from a 800+ hive operation. I produce on avg. 50 ton a year and sell wholesale to all the smaller beekeeper. I sell out by season end. Who is the one that sets the price. Right now I get $2.05 in the barrel.

Tim, If you are serious about selling honey , you should do as all other packers, just purchase the honey wholesale from commercial beeks then bottle and sell, this way you can control your supply and always have something to sell. Please also note that I state it this way because I get calls all the time from web site people that say they can resell, but they never seam to have the money to buy a supply to resell and want me to be the bank. Typically packers have to purchase 1 to 2 years supply of honey so they can have a consistant supply for the site or the shelf.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

Noticed your site refers to “Best Organic Honey” when you click it on it shows an ad for Ambrosia Pure Honey sold by Amazon.

Is there such a thing as truly organic honey?

You also sell honey that implies that it “treats” reactions to Chemotherapy and you imply that the honey you are selling on your web site, Lifemel Honey cures cancer…”Is It Cancer Honey” is your tag line.
    I do not think you are going to get many creditable beekeepers wanting to be associated with your web site.
    "Success is all about attitude"
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.

I think you're well within your right to make this offer. If had extra honey, I'd be glad to hook up with you. The farmer's markets continue to drain my time. I'd like to build up my hive numbers, but marketing my honey takes more and more time. There are days I think I'd just like to put everything in buckets and sell it wholesale to other small beekeepers. But I still get a kick out meeting people, and thus I continue down the same path.

A couple of questions. 1) how do you define "raw"? What temperature is the absolute highest allowed? What do you expect a beekeeper to do with granulated honey? Would you be willing to sell granulated, totally unheated honey? Would consumers buy it?

2) What about straining and how do you define what would be the minimal kind of straining? I mean, I have quite a bit of wax particles as my honey comes out of the extractor that 99% of the public would find objectionable. I strain through nylon pantyhose and there is still a residue that floats to the surface over time.

3) Shipping charges are outrageous. I tried some Internet marketing and the cost of boxing and shipping was unreasonable...unless you ordered a large quantity. That first pound of honey is the most expensive and frequently the cost of shipping was more than the cost of the honey. Who pays shipping?

I applaud your innovative ideas.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by standman View Post
    Tim, I thought I would respond publicly rather than by PM so that it might stir some discussion from other beeks. My honey fits well in the category you describe. I don't treat with any chemicals, don't heat my honey, filter only minimally. Problem is, I can only do that because I am a small hobbiest keeper, and right now I sell all of my honey before Christmas. I would hate to get started with you and then fail to deliver because I was out of honey.

Here are a few questions that might be of interest to others:
    1) What is your expected demand? 2) What pricing are you expecting to pay, or what fee will you charge? 3)Will you have a preferred packaging (glass or plastic, honey bears or pints, etc)

Depending on the answers to these questions, there may be some suppliers out there (me included) who can add extra hives (and help) knowing there is a market for the product.
    Hey Standman! Thanks for your response! Yes I know that the type of honey I'm looking for is not commonly available commercially because its hard to process the honey with any volume without heating it so I expected some of the feedback you just shared. I've answered some of your questions below. Lets talk further!

1. Right now its hard to gauge because google is sporadically sending traffic which comes in inconsistent waves. However, I'm hoping that 1 out of every 100 visitors to my site will purchase honey at my store. Currently that number would only result in 8-10 sales per month. Some months it could be 1-2 two sales. I'm hoping that with some of the work I'm doing I'll be able to increase that to up to 10 times the volume.
    2. I would like to make 20% on the honey. Here is scenario I had hoped might play out. You sell honey offline for 8 dollars. I sell your honey online for 8 dollars as well. A customer buys your honey which is listed on my site through my store for 8 dollars. I send you an order for a jar of honey for $6.40 and keep $1.60 as my profit of the sale. Not sure this is reasonable, but its a starting point for discussion.
    3. I am open to a method of packing. However, on the face of it, glass might be an ill advised method compared to plastic honey bears which I've heard sell better and would certainly handle the stress of shipment better than a glass jar.

Looking forward to your feedback on my comments!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by treebee View Post
    I stand with Standman, I am moving from thirty up towards one hundred + hives this spring. hand extract, early harvest, great honey, but this year will sell out locally by christmas at $8 on the pint. With more info as to your expectations we might be interested this next season.
    Hi Treebee. I responded to Standman. Let me know your thoughts or if you have some additional questions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Looking at this on a comm. beekeeper side, from a 800+ hive operation. I produce on avg. 50 ton a year and sell wholesale to all the smaller beekeeper. I sell out by season end. Who is the one that sets the price. Right now I get $2.05 in the barrel.
    Hi Honey Householder. I like your idea about the wholesale honey, but its impractical at this moment as it violates my online business model. I'm strictly working on a "drop-ship" sales model for this site. Once I have some business history in place I see that I could probably increase my margins with a little extra work based on the price you listed in your add. It definitely gives me some ideas for the future!

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    Tim, If you are serious about selling honey , you should do as all other packers, just purchase the honey wholesale from commercial beeks then bottle and sell, this way you can control your supply and always have something to sell. Please also note that I state it this way because I get calls all the time from web site people that say they can resell, but they never seam to have the money to buy a supply to resell and want me to be the bank. Typically packers have to purchase 1 to 2 years supply of honey so they can have a consistant supply for the site or the shelf.
    Larry,

You bring up an interesting point about meeting my supply needs through wholesaling the honey. As I explained to another member of the forum. Its something that is of interest in the future but not right for me based on the small volume I expect in the beginning. I'm going to keep your information and when I look at wholesaling in the future I'll certainly give you a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebeeman View Post
    Noticed your site refers to “Best Organic Honey” when you click it on it shows an ad for Ambrosia Pure Honey sold by Amazon.

Is there such a thing as truly organic honey?

You also sell honey that implies that it “treats” reactions to Chemotherapy and you imply that the honey you are selling on your web site, Lifemel Honey cures cancer…”Is It Cancer Honey” is your tag line.
    I do not think you are going to get many creditable beekeepers wanting to be associated with your web site.
    Hi Steve! I think you're stalking me (kidding..lol) and you are definitely being redundant as you and I have already beaten the "organic honey" horse to death on Linkedin. That said, I did change the wording you referenced "best organic honey" to "best pure honey". You are absolutely right in this case because my intent was to link to an amazon listing for a certified organic honey. In order not to be misleading I changed the wording of the ad. Thanks for your feedback on this!

Now, as for the Lifemel Honey...Your assertion that I'm currently or have ever asserted that it is a cure for cancer is wrong. I am attempting to tell google that people who search for the term "cancer honey" that my page is relevant. Anyone who reads the article which is actually a review of lifemel honey could never come to the conclusion that I'm suggesting that Lifemel Honey might be a possible cure for cancer. I also say plainly in the post that I am being "dramatic" for effect.

That said, Lifemel is honey is fortified with a mix of herbs and minerals which are thought to support the body in producing white blood cells. Chemo reduces white blood cell count in the body along with other complications contributes to anemia. Lifemel honey is CLINICALLY PROVEN to improve these side effects of chemo in patients. Visit their website and read the studies for yourself. You may disagree with the studies but there are many people who have testified otherwise. As I state in the review, I have done no scientific studies and I consistently encourage my readers to decide for themselves whether Lifemel honey is for real.

I do appreciate your comments and I'm sure you mean well but this thread is not the forum. Please don't dilute this thread with feedback on my site. This is against the the bee source TOC.

Grant, Thanks for your great comments! You raise some interesting points which I hadn't considered the first of which is that my ideology of supplying "raw" honey might get in the way of sales!! That said, I believe in raw honey and I'm willing to loose sales in order to educate consumers on the superiority of raw honey.

In answer to your questions:

1. Raw is subjective for sure but minimal straining like pantyhose is fine and as for heating I would like to keep it under 120 degrees FOR SURE. Somewhere around 100 degrees and below is ideal.
    2. I would certainly sell granulated honey! As to if it would sell or the best way to market it, maybe you could give me some tips.
    3. As for shipping charges its really not an issue because the only audience is conditioned to know that it will cost money to receive the item they have bought. However, I'm going to take a cue from Amazon's book of tricks and offer free or discounted shipments on orders above a certain dollar figure. All shipping charges will be paid by the customer.

By the way, if you are interested click this link below and you can list your honey to people looking for local honey. I've optimized my site to reach people in your area who are looking for you! The listing is free so there is no risk just a few minutes of your time to fill out the listing.

http://besthoneysite.com/local-honey...ll-your-honey/

Looking forward to hearing back from you!
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-17-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: quoting

Quote Originally Posted by SamgeeGamwise View Post
    That said, Lifemel is honey is fortified with a mix of herbs and minerals which are thought to support the body in producing white blood cells. Chemo reduces white blood cell count in the body along with other complications contributes to anemia. Lifemel honey is CLINICALLY PROVEN to improve these side effects of chemo in patients. Visit their website and read the studies for yourself. You may disagree with the studies but there are many people who have testified otherwise. As I state in the review, I have done no scientific studies and I consistently encourage my readers to decide for themselves whether Lifemel honey is for real.
    I recently research Lifemel myself. For starters "fortified" would be an extremely bad and misleading description. The bees are fed fortified pollen and syrup/nectar , after that the honey does not have any additives, it is extracted and raw packed just like other honey.

I do believe that they have been certified by the Israel Health Ministry and they have run some clinical test to prove that it does increase blood cell platelets and boost immune system.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-22-2011 at 05:09 AM. Reason: quoting

Thanks NC Steeler. I didn't make the distinction very clearly and you are exactly right!