Default Looking for affordable extarctor - new to this bee thing first year

Hello,
    I have a hive of bees. This is my first year and I am ready to extract the honey but quite honestly do not have equipment. Can anyone tell me if the hand crank plastic units that sell for $150 are any good? Or is there a simpler way of getting the honey out. I only have one hive with 2 supers filled.
    Does anyone know where I can buy a used extractor in southern michigan?

Default Re: Looking for affordable extarctor - new to this bee thing first year

Use a hive tool and scrape the comb off the frames into a strainer and let it drain in a warm, bee proof, room.
    No need for an extractor.

Do not get the plastic extractor. I have quite a few hives and still to this day, scrape the combs and strain to get the honey. See if your bee club might have an extractor to rent/borrow if you really want to go that way.

Thanks for the advice... Do I simply scrape the wax off and then suspend in warm room onto a strainer? Another question, what type of strainer do I need?

Welcome to the forum. Scrape it down to the foundation. Frames do not drain just because they are uncapped or warm. Ask your wife nicely for a large strainer or collander.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

The smart beekeeper will purchase his/her own strainer or collander and keep their mitts off of their partners kitchenware.

I do the scrape and drain. Got a nylon strainer bag that fits into a 5 gal bucket with a honey gate. Bag cost $5.00, honey gate was $12.00 ? bucket was free, get one that has not had something with a strong odor in it, or buy a new one.
    I put the bag in the bucket suspended off the bottom, then set it in the truck cab on a sunny day, temp gets to 130F, let it drain all day.

Check out this link I found.. I plan to make this extractor. I will let you know if it works. If not I will try the gravity thing. I figure for $28 I cant go wrong. Any thoughts?

http://www.plantertomato.com/2010/09...or-for-28.html