Hybrid View

Default Essential Oils source?

I went searching for local lemongrass oil, and found that 'Sprouts', the local 'farmers market' type produce store has essential oils for aromatherapy, but when I told them I wanted to use it for an appetite stimulant for bees they stepped back and said they wouldn't recommend it, that it was strictly for aroma stimulation. Do you think they are just covering their hind sides or do you think that maybe there are additives that may be harmful to the bees?

Can't seem to find many sources listed on the internet on my side of town, let alone in town at all.

Default Re: Essential Oils source?

Hi beeherder,

I would think their just covering their butts. Seems now a days no one wants to extend their neck to long. My wife started making Fire starters out of pine cones and used cinnamon essential oils bought at a local health food market. WOW! Needless to say it got expensive. So being the cheap skate I am I turned to the internet and found these guy's after a good days worth of looking and researching. I was real hesitant because the price was so cheap. But being the cheap skate I am I ordered it anyway. Boy was I glad I did. Came just as they said it would, very strong and wonderful. I was afraid of it being cut with a carrier oil like I had read about while doing my search online. Anyhow I would recommend you take a minute to look here. http://essentialoils4less.com

Good luck and please share your experience.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by beeherder View Post
    I went searching for local lemongrass oil, and found that 'Sprouts', the local 'farmers market' type produce store has essential oils for aromatherapy, but when I told them I wanted to use it for an appetite stimulant for bees they stepped back and said they wouldn't recommend it, that it was strictly for aroma stimulation. Do you think they are just covering their hind sides or do you think that maybe there are additives that may be harmful to the bees?

Can't seem to find many sources listed on the internet on my side of town, let alone in town at all.
    The essential oils they are selling may not be food grade or intended for food grade use.

I get my essential oils from LorAnn

https://www.lorannoils.com/

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-14-esse...inary-use.aspx

Depending upon how much in the way of essential oils or other of their products you use, you can open up a wholesale account with them and order at a discounted price. So far, I have been ordering essental oils by the quart. Probably most beekeeper may not use that much but these are food grade essential oils and safe for your bees.

Amazon.com has lots of essential oils at good prices, but you have to blow up the pictures and read the labels carefully. Make sure you know what you're looking for. You might want to find a bottle on another site and then Google it to do a comparison.

Has anyone tried oils from http://www.wfmed.com

Look HERE. And their shipping charges are not outrageous either.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

It's the "food grade" that's making them nervous, or lack thereof. They're not making the EOs so they're just repeating what their vendor has told them. Look for EOs that you can use to flavor hard candy, that's the most common food use I think.

There is a difference in pharmaceutical grade and aromatherapy oils. Even the pharmaceutical grades say don't ingest, they are mostly for skin application. I have a friend who has a vitamin shop and they don't carry lemongrass oil but he was able to order it for me. What are you wanting to use the lgo for, a feeding stimulant or swarm lure. It is very effective as a swarm lure and I would think the aromatherapy type would be fine for that. As far as other essential oils, I was able to find tea tree oil at Walmart, it is used as an alternative treatment for nosema.
    Major

Yes Greg, I have ordered and used several different EO'S from WFMD in Burke, Va and I am very satisfied with their product. I use their 100% EO'S for brood enticement in early spring for rapid hive build up. I would strongly recommend them to all the BEEKS who want a good prodeuct for a very reasonable price.

The Seaborns who are noted natural beekeepers at wolfcreekapiaries.com sell EO's, and SC bees were hit hard by a 30 January Tornado! They know what the right stuff is and it seems to me they need some business about now.

Thanks for the info genie!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lowe View Post
    Has anyone tried oils from http://www.wfmed.com
    I bought some eo from wfmed several years ago and shipping was free. Heavy users might be interested in Lebermuth.
    http://www.lebermuth.com/
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I just got some off Amazon 4oz. For like $8 & shipping
    I'm using it for bait hives..
    If your looking to use lemongrass oil as a feeding stimulant and worry about if its safe just use Honey-B-Healthy... its about the same price...
    Last edited by Beeman410; 02-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.