Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

moved the wild girls

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  charles adams 
#1 ·
waited for the temps to get below 100 for the daily high seemed to take for ever but got the wild hive moved today into the TBH. the combs were hugh 26 inchs wide and the longest was 24 inches long a rough estiment it was about thirty pounds. I've got some serious trimming to make the fit the hive, their cleaning the damage now from the move. I've got the 1:1 out and this evening I'll feed the ones left at the meterbase and attempt to move them to the colony.Now if I can convence them to stay will be a miracle..(ps) only got stung once will wonders never cease.

#4 ·
Sounds like things went well. If you brought brood with you and placed it in their new home I doubt they'd leave. Where did you place the feed? It almost looked like you put it outside the hive. I'd put it in the hive to prevent robbing.

#6 ·
Where did you place the feed? It almost looked like you put it outside the hive. I'd put it in the hive to prevent robbing.
I did place it outside in hopes of luring the bees left behind to the new area( Newbee mistake!!!) two gallons of 1:1 gone in 10 hours I know know that there are three more wild hives along the creek that divides my property and the neighbors and one across the highway by following the flight patterns of the robber bees. Hive is doing fine now that I removed what was left of the 1:1 and moved it to the middle of the pasture towards the creek to get a better bearing on the other wild hives.

#5 ·
I moved everything three hugh combs of capped and uncapped honey,four comb of brood plus the new comb that fell apart in my hands they went to work cleaning up my mess from moving them right away and emptyed the two quart of 1:1 by 9pm. The honey had a peach taste to it from our small orchard i guess .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.