Default Newbee in hot and dusty Texas

After being interested in beekeeping for several years, my wife and I decided to jump in. With the help of a local commercial apiary we purchased a complete hive and bees. We moved them home after midnight on Sunday, August 28th so they have been here almost a week. They are doing fine and bringing in a lot of pollen. Of course, we are feeding. My wife and I both love having "the girls" here and look forward to next Spring when it might actually rain.

John

Default Re: Newbee in hot and dusty Texas

Welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping! Read, read, read........ and read some more!

Be careful reading, though. I read so much I burnt my old glasses out and had to get some new ones!!!

Congrats on the colony!!! I'm still looking forward to getting my first honey bees home....I've got'em but they're over-wintering at my mentors yard...I'm setting out a couple of swarm traps (hopefully) this weekend....just in time for the monsoon to move in.<sigh>

Have fun!!!!!!!!
    Ed

Welcome to Texas bee-keeping! It's been a wild ride, and this is a great site.
    Lots and lots of experience here.

Gypsi
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Welcome John!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

It has been an educational week. Got the girls home early Sunday morning. Monday afternoon I saw what appeared to be hundreds of bees going in and out. Then I noticed that a lot of them were fighting. A feral colony had discovered my colony's feeder and were robbing it. Thanks to "Beekeeping for Dummies" I knew how to help my girls handle that. Monday afternoon saw another robbing attempt that I was prepared for. Tuesday and Wednesday went by uneventfully but on Thursday afternoon I noticed a suspicious number of bees at the hive once again. Everything led me to think this was another robbery until I realized that I couldn't see any bees fighting. It was new foragers taking orientation flights. They would hover in front of the hive, weave back and forth, and then start flying further and further away from the hive in circles or figure-eights. Today I did an inspection and found larvae in the upper deep along with pollen and honey. The lower deep held nothing but honey. Funny, I thought it was supposed to be the reverse? Added a super and changed out the frame feeder for a top feeder that will be easier to refill. Now if it would just rain...

John

Welcome to beekeeping. Up here many people reverse there deeps in fall if there hives are as you discribed. We like the honey on top and the brood down below going into winter. Your area may be different with warmer weather they can probably move around all winter..

Good luck, Check into joining a local club..
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Welcome to the site!