Default Straining honey???

So, I ordered some nylon straining cloth 120 micron, for 1# white honey. But my honey us not straining?? I have it in five gal pails with a strainer bag to gravity feed into another 5 gal pail below. It's been on for 12 hours and the us only about 1/2 inch of honey drained through. How can I speed this up?

Default Re: Straining honey???

I set mine out in the hot direct sunlight to heat it up, but it was a 90 degree day by noon day.

I am going to go get a ceramic heater. Try and get things thinned out. Does anyone have any links or suggestions for straining on a larger scale? I will need a lot of 5 gal pails at this pace.

suggestions for straining= DON'T

From what I understand 120 micron would be *very* tight for straining honey. There have been recommendations to "wet" the strainers with water to break the surface tension but this adds moisture back to the honey which seems to be counter-productive. Many folks who have bought the kits with 200 and 600 micron strainers included report the two hundred is too tight and that actually the 600 micron does a great job.

FWIW,
    Ed

It's going to have to be pretty hot to go through 120 micron, in fact too hot. If you get the 3 piece strainer from the bee suppliers they come in 200, 400, and 600 micron. The 400 takes virtually everything out and leaves very clear honey. Honey has to be in the 100+ degree range to flow through the 200 micron strainer.

Oh, fun fun. Hmmm now I guess I will look for some bigger straining cloth.

Pick up some cheese cloth and use several layers of it.

Ed

Try nylon.....does not leave fibers............

Here is what I use. Works VERY well and gets the honey about as clean as can be done for a small home operation:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDe...83&idCategory=

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDe...95&idCategory=

Just put the bag filter on the 5 gallon bucket and the double sieve on top of the bag filter on the bucket. Pour the honey through the sieve first and it drains into the bag filter in the bucket. When the bucket is full, remove the sieve and carefully bunch the top of the filter bag together in your hand and gently/gradually lift it, allow the honey to seep through. It did not take long for the honey we processed in this fashion in airconditioned temps of around 78 degrees.

The honey bottled up nice and clear. Haven't had any complaints and the intial reaction has been nearly universal in that folks comments on how clear the honey appeared. YMMV

After doing some reading and getting some smarts here are a couple of pictures of my homemade strainer:

Tops cut from 2, 5 gal. buckets aluminum screen wire installed in them.
    Top screen traps large wax pieces from extractor, it is inserted into bottom screen which has nylon bridal veil material inside it.

These are placed into the top of a 5 gal. bucket.

At 85 degree temperature these will strain as fast as 10 frame extractor will work .

PCM

Well I had bought a few yards of the 120 micron nylon so I decided to give it another try. I picked up a radiant heater and put the pails in a room and have got the heat cranked. It is already speed up a lot. I did one pail with cheese cloth about 12 layers thick so I will compare quality after. The chess cloth is definitely faster. But I am fussy and want 1# honey. So I will wait to compare. Thanks for the tips

I use a plain five gal. paint strainer. Which you can get at any paint or hardward store. Works well for me!