Default winter prep for observation hive

Is there anything I need to do to prep my indoor observation hive for winter it is 6 deep frames(2 wide, 3 high) Thanks

Default Re: winter prep for observation hive

Most importantly, make sure their population is just right. OHs are finicky. Especially in fall and spring. In fall, if you have too many bees in there, they might swarm (or abscond) leaving you with nothing. Too few and you don't have enough bees to make it through the winter.

Unfortunately I can't really tell you how many is enough, as I'm not familiar with your geographic area. But whatever it is, you need to make sure you are there before it's too late to take extra bees from another hive, or shake some out into a different hive.

Aside from that, enough stores and the capability of feeding are important. Make sure you have a sugar feeder attached, and you have the ability to sprinkle in some pollen when they will need it. My OH always needs some pollen to make it through.

I will be following this closely. I'd like to know more about these before I install mine.

One of the great educational benefits of an observation hive is that it exaggerates every problem you have in a typical hive, including swarming, building up, drawing down etc. I lean toward strong, but as mentioned you don't want them to swarm. Hopefully they have a good store of pollen and honey and you have some way to feed them more if they need it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a feeder built on to the top for sugar water I guess that since they are inside they can take it all winter, will they raise brood all winter to?

Mine don't, and I'm assuming yours won't either. But they do start up a little earlier, and keep a small amount of brood going a little later.

>will they raise brood all winter

Not constantly, but off and on they will raise a small patch of brood.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF