Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: the dextrose part of hfcs?

I would NOT put it on a hayfield. That may be a crime under DNR or EPA rules. Ground water contamination is frowned upon.

Again, find a moonshiner in your area. WE have alot of the Corn to ethanol plants in Wisconsin. If you read the data sheet for that product, it is intended for use by brewers. Use it for what it was intended.

Still Crazy Roland

It should not contaminate any ground water, its sugar. it will rot just like everything else
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I feed dextrose to my bees last summer. Got it from a friend who has a Dr in animal nutrition. My bees loved it. Kinda caused a robbing situation from the hives that just had regular sugar syrup instead. I plan on feeding it more this spring to see how it works. Its cheaper and possibly more nutritionaly available since it is straight glucose.

Nectar is mostly Sucrose. Sucrose is made up of one Dextrose (aka Glucose) and one Levulose (aka Fructose) connected. Bees break these apart using an enzyme, invertase. All of these are in Honey. What else is in DE42 besides Dextrose and sucrose? Are there a lot of starches? Other sugars? I'm having trouble finding an exact description... best I can tell it's brown rice syrup. Not sure why anyone thinks it's worse the HFCS except maybe it has more starches?

It's never a good idea to experiment on a large scale...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It looks like you can get it already in 8 oz, 12 oz and 15 oz bears:
    http://www.chemicalskey.com/chemical...rice-syrup.htm

You don't even need to feed it to the bees and extract it.

http://www.21food.com/products/brown...29-365864.html
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    my friend just called me from the plant. another machine broke down that pumps the dextrose. it is dextrose 36/43 this time and they want me to pick up 6000lbs. I would like to get it and mix it with the sucrose that they also give me. Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? I would wait till spring to feed it.
    I would go for it. There is no reason for it to harm bees because after all dextrose is Glucose. Mix it with fructose and you got Inverted Sucrose. I guess the other "components/junk" might have some affects on the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Nectar is mostly Sucrose. Sucrose is made up of one Dextrose (aka Glucose) and one Levulose (aka Fructose) connected. Bees break these apart using an enzyme, invertase. All of these are in Honey. What else is in DE42 besides Dextrose and sucrose? Are there a lot of starches? Other sugars? I'm having trouble finding an exact description... best I can tell it's brown rice syrup. Not sure why anyone thinks it's worse the HFCS except maybe it has more starches?

It's never a good idea to experiment on a large scale...

Apparently bees have a longer flight if they consume starch.
    http://www.apimondiafoundation.org/f.../files/302.pdf

Quote from the study.

"This provides
    evidence that the enzyme amylase found in the hypopharyngeal glands of older workers increases their efficiency of utilising complex
    carbohydrates and underlines their important role as food processors in the highly evolved social system of the honeybee society. "

there is no sucrose in it. the full discription is easy to find. Here is the link.

http://www.adm.com/_layouts/ProductD...x?productid=15

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12