Default Howdy from Central MD

Howdy everyone.

I'm an aspiring bee keeper in central MD (about 30 miles north of DC). I live with my wife on about an acre in the country. My next door neighbor (who is also my landlord) had purchased some bee keeping equipment at auction a while ago and he mentioned that he'd like to have bees around to pollinate the garden and just to watch them buzz around but he didn't care as much about doing the work. I told him I was kind of the opposite that I was interested in bee keeping as a hobby but did not have the capital to bankroll a project like that. He agreed to loan me the equipment he already bought and help with the cost of additional items if I would actually work the bees for him.

So far I'm not even sure what all I have to work with. We've got about 4 hive bodies with bases and lids but only enough complete frames to fill two of them. There was also a smoker and a mesh grate that I believe to be a queen excluder. [I hope I've got my terminology correct so far]

I'm still in the very early stages of researching this and I don't expect to have any actual bees until next spring at the earliest but I look forward to reading the many posts here and taking in some knowledge.

-Cooper

Default Re: Howdy from Central MD

Welcome Cooper! You can check what you have and find what you need at supplier websites. http://americasbeekeeper.com/Beekeeping_supplies.htm There can be delays in acquiring supplies with all the new beekeeps so plan ahead and order early.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!

Hi Cooper, we're practically neighbors, as you can see I'm in Eldersburg. I took the Carroll County Beekeeper's Association class this past Spring. It'll be held again this Fall I believe and it's at Carroll Community College.
    The association's website is thecarrollbee.org and I know of some local sources for bees and equipment: Jim Fraser carries Brushy Mountain equipment that you can actually see and touch and Marc Hoffman is a local queen breeder. Email me if you want their contact info. As I have used both, I can vouch for them.

Eta: The meetings are held the third Wednesday of every month at Bear Branch Nature Center. I'll finally get to go to one!

I just met another member from Woodbine and now you are in Eldersburg! I guess there is more bee keeping around here than I thought.

I'm looking into that class although they don't make it easy to figure out what time the class meets, how much it costs or how to register.

Nice to meet all of you.

There are quite few beekeepers around you. Jim Fraser also sells nucs but the queens are not always local, he's a good guy. He's near you, on Damascus road.
    The website for the association leaves a lot to be desired. I had more luck going onto the school's website and doing a search for beekeeping.