Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Varroa mite count query

Am still looking for someone to answer: had 200+ mite count in late summer/fall ...did not treat.. and had a functioning hive the next year?

I had 200 mite + count in the summer (july 1) treated. Hives died or came out of winter small cluster and not performing well

I've used the sugar roll method for mite counting.

Scoop 1/2 cup of bees into a mason jar or similar with #8 hardware cloth in place of the center cover, drop about one or two heaped tea spoons of confectioners sugar through the top, shake to cover the bees, shake out the mites into a 6"x10" +/- white plastic pan. return the gals into the hive. Their friends will help clean up. Once I put them in front of the hive and found them all dead the next day. A Google search will reveal many sites with instructions. I think the half cup equates to 200 bees, but not sure anymore.

I'm happy with less than a dozen mites and have seen as high as 50 (ouch!).

I used to treat with formic acid pads when the count exceeded two dozen, but now I make it a preventive measure in September regardless. This year I just put them in without checking.

BTW, I'm a small scale keeper with five hives. Last spring only one survived. In about six years, this is my first with losses. I purchased two packages. In May I found the survivor going gangbusters with about a dozen queen cells. Took six frames with queen cells into two deeps and they built up well. The original hive provided a respectable harvest and is still the strongest. One of the packages failed and the other isn't near as strong as the two splits.

Like Roland I count the mites on my drone comb. I found a high mite infestation on my last inspection, after 0 mites on earlier inspections. I treated all my hives in that yard. I use oxalic acid vapor 3X once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Here’s a hypothetical situation. You have two hives. For the sake of argument, let’s say your treatment threshold is 60 mites in 24 hours. You conduct a drop test on both hives and get 58 each. So you don’t treat…..but what you haven’t considered is that one hive has 40,000 bees and has been going gangbusters and making brood all season. The second hive swarmed a couple of weeks ago, only has 20,000 bees and has had a break in brood production. Does the drop test make a fair comparison? Should you be treating hive #2, as the implied infestation is actually twice as high (per bee) as hive #1? Food for thought.
    If hive #2 had a swarm and is in the process of requeening, then the cycle of varroa has been harnessed naturally as it will take a minimum of four weeks for the new queen to develop, hatch and mate. Personally, I would not treat a swarm hive IF they are making their own queen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12