Thread: hive inspection

Default hive inspection

How often can I check my hive. I have been told that is I check too often with smoke that the bees could get mad and go find a new home.

Default Re: hive inspection

I've never had them leave because i won't leave them alone. If you're in the learning stage, I would say that you should check them fairly often and learn from your inspections. You don't have to pull everything apart, just open them up....look at what you need to and learn. Why not once a week? If the weather is with you, go for it!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I agree with Raven. If you're new, once a week should be fine. Sometimes I just do the "tilt and look" where I tilt both brood boxes back and look underneath for swarm cells. There is no need to go frame by frame if initially you see a good brood pattern, lot's of single eggs per cell and adequate pollen and honey stores. Just clean up the burr comb and you're set.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

for us newbies, what the heck is burr comb?
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Burr comb is comb anywhere in the hive where you don't want it. My bees love to comb the top of the frames to the inner cover. If you don't cut it out, your bees could seal it to the frames and then you have a big mess. I've seen a lot more burr comb with plastic frames vs. wood frames.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Like said burr comb is any comb not where you want it. normally between frames/boxs.

Some keepers say cut it out and keep it cleaned up, others say why bother? they will just rebuild it so leave it and save them the time and resourses. Each keepers call. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

I went with leave it. Heard a thud as comb hanging down from the super detached from a frame in the deep though. I love nighttime beekeeping. They just go back to sleep.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

. I love nighttime beekeeping. They just go back to sleep.
    I would keep an eye on my lower extremities they like to crawl at night

Tommyt

Ooops. Been wearing sandals for my nighttime beekeeping. But so far no creepy crawlies.
    And I can see more in early morning. Just not a lot of time before it gets hot.