Hybrid View

Default Laws Regarding Sales of Small amounts of honey

I want to sell 100 jars of honey at a swap meet in san diego. What are the laws regarding this do I need to have permits? I've always heard that small time beekeepers were allowed to sell a small amount of product without having permits and other things like the large commerical beekeepers do.

Default Re: Laws Regarding Sales of Small amounts of honey

Probably no problem, however you should check the California Dept. of Food and Ag for regulations. In Tennessee we're allowed 150 gal/year without having to maintain a state inspected honey house. Maybe someone from your state will post their knowledge/experience.

I've tried contacting several dept. etc, no one will reply as usually that's the government for you. The only people that were helpful were the california Beekeepers association who said aslong as labeling has my name address that it's pure honey, I should have no problem. He said he often sells at farmers markets and other places without any problems or permits. Anyone from California or San Diego area have anymore information? or anyone have anything regarding Federal Laws?

You've tried....so label it appropriately, go sell it, and enjoy. If some bureaucrat comes by, and tells you you can't, tell them you contacted the departments (name them) and everything was fine since you're selling such a small quantity. ;-)
    If they come down real hard on you, simply say "Ok, what do I need to do then?" Make them help you. The odds are, no one will say or do a thing.
    Too often we make life too difficult for ourselves.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

So I try to call the county all week long since monday, left messages, called over 20 different numbers was being redirected. And here is the good ole American way, frist they fine you 350 dollars than they take away your viechle. They have shierriffs there walking around waiting to attack people without proper paperwork which apparantly is impossible to even get in the frist place since no one will awnser the phones or won't call you back. Gotta love California and all the beaucrats.

I love your logic, StevenG. Make them help you, and generally it works if you show a workable spirit and a congenial attitude. And it really helps when we have names of people we've contacted who failed to serve our needs. Supposedly, they know the rules and regs, but it still leaves me breathless when our government is supposed to be helping us and they don't know what the situation requires. Mostly they just say you can't do it the way you are doing it, but fail to offer the correct way.

I belong to another group, and the supervisory beaucrat from the state came down, mostly to come down on us. We explained our operating procedure, the one that had been previously approved by their attorney. Still, he said we were in the wrong. We said, "Fine, point out what needs to be changed and we'll be happy to modify our agreement and come into compliance."

He said he'd be getting back to us. That was two years ago and we've kept operating as we were.

I will say this, in Missouri the official from the Weights and Measures who visits the farmer's markets is extremely helpful, knows the rules and regs, and is more than willing to work with the incompliance. They're not all bad.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725