Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Swarm traps are deployed!!!

Ok, well I finally got through patching together a couple of double medium 5-frame nucs for swarm traps. This afternoon as the tropical storm was leaving the area I went over to the swamp and set them out. There are two man made structures on the property:

The location of Trap #1 is an old deserted camper trailer. A metal shed is built above the camper and the trap is hanging under the side edge of the roof. It is mostly protected from rain but wide open to the environment.

Trap #2 is at an old log cabin being rebuilt. The trap is hanging on the side of a porch post looking out over a somewhat gently sloping 30' bluff going down to the creek...lot's of swamp area in front of it...from this viewpoint you can sit high and dry and watch the entire swamp on the opposite of the creek flood...really a neat spot.

Trap #1 got a Brushy Creek pheromone lure and lemon grass essential oil on a napkin in a open zip lock with a couple of holes in it. Trap #2 got only the lemon grass oil on the napkin in a ziplock and a drop or two on the floor of the nuc.

Both traps have a 1" strip of wax foundation in each frame except for the bottom center frames. The bottom center frames each have a piece of full length foundation going from top bar to bottom bar but only about 3" wide...I figure this "ladder" might encourage the scouts to explore "upstairs". On either side of the ladder are 1" strips of foundation.

Now, to figure out what to do with a swarm if I catch one!!!! Looks like the high temps are dropping from the mid-90's to the mid-80's and we have some moisture back in the ground. For some reason I don't think that locally the moisture is going to help the feral colonies...I feel like it will help the shb who in turn will only cause more misery and absconding for the feral bees. I really hope I can catch one of these feral colonies and give it a shot at making it through the winter.

Of course I forgot the camera. But, here is a map of the area. The topo map is a bit aged and some of what appears to be open area is wooded now.

Ed

Default Re: September swarms in south Alabama????

gonna have to start another thread....October swarms in south Alabama,got 1 yesterday

Good for you!!! Were they dark or light colored bees? Survivor genes!!! Unfortunately, I haven't seen any activity around the two that I have out. Of course, who knows what goes on while I'm not there...

I checked them yesterday and put a little fresh lemongrass oil on them. One isn't in that great of a location in regards to forage but the other one sits at the edge of a fallow field with a lot of goldenrod, what I perceive as "false foxglove", and a variety of tarweed growing in it. I'm seeing honey bees working these blooms...but very few of them. I'm beginning to think I need to relocate the traps. I'm also beginning to think it's getting very close to being over with for the season. My mentor tends to chuckle at my endeavors, but then again he always ends the swarm discussion with "you'll probably go back to them and have a swarm in one". The rent's paid so I'll let'em sit out there for a while.

Ed
    Last edited by Intheswamp; 10-04-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelin

Really neat stuff Intheswamp, really enjoying this thread... hoping you get a full one pretty soon.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, saltcreep. I'm wondering on the trap over by the trunk about changing it's location just a bit. When I was putting them up I was trying to beat some weather coming in and didn't have lots of time to put them up. That trap is actually hanging under the gable of of a shed roof. Good shady location and protected from the rain. I think the general area of the location is good, I've talked with a couple of neighbors that had bees get in some old houses of theirs several years back...unfortunately they exterminated them. So, bees have been in the area, just not sure if they are still there. My question is with the specific location of the trap...whether it would be better to strap to one of those plantation pines rather than under the overhang of that shed, or maybe to the southeast and put it on the edge of that old clearcut. I may change it (very) soon and see what happens.

Ed

I do not know about Alabama, but I posted on another forum about the swarms that we have been having down here in Florida. Got one yesterday that filled up my TBH nuc, 12 bars. I'm gonna have to build another hive in about a week to put them in if they stay.
    Got one on Labor Day and the Thursday after. No swarm traps, calls from where I work, get them before the exterminator does.
    Robert

Keep in mind that many of the "swarms" that you will be seeing, may not be swarms at all, but rather absconded colonies that were evicted by shb... good luck guys!

got a call while in Montgomery Sat,& got it today....basketball size,got 1 Thur. that was football size &it had beetles in the cluster

I just did a cutout two weeks ago that was under a house - they had not been there long, according to the homeowner, and the beautiful white comb confirmed that. They had about a teaspoon of honey in the entire hive, not much brood, and after rubber-banding the comb (all of it, since they were so calm) into frames there was enough to fill 4 frames. I checked them this week and they have filled in the blank spots on the salvaged comb and have drawn comb on the remaining 6 frames (I've been feeding them to try to ensure that they get the comb drawn & filled before it gets cold). They are really pretty, especially the queen - most of them are a light gold color with very light banding - look a lot like the Kohen (sp?) bees that my cousin in north MS has. I got a call yesterday about a very large swarm that has settled underneath an antebellum home nearby, so I'll be checking that out tomorrow. I wish I had cobbled together some swarm traps and set them out now; I thought it was too late in the year for swarms so I didn't make that a priority....I'll be ready next year though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12