Default imountain camp method

hear in texas we are in a hard drout, i have about 20 hive, some are in good condion, but the others are geting low on stores early, i was wondering is it to early to start the mountain camp feeding method, as feeding 20 hives individualy would be time consuming, or put out a 25 gal. barrel of sugar water,

Default Re: imountain camp method

It is not a feeding method suited to warm times of the year. It depends on condensation from respiration to wet the newspaper and the sugar so bees can eat the sugar. It's more of a winter feeding technique when syrup would be hard for bees to get to because they are clustered.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

If you use a spray bottle to get the bottom damp so it won't fall through and put it on in layers you can get it to clump. If you get the edges wet they will see it as food instead of trash. Once you get them working it in a drought, they will eat it until there is a flow of some kind. They have to haul water to use it. If a flow starts they will start drawing comb in the empty space.

If you don't clump the sugar up on the bottom of the pile, it will run into the hive like an hourglass when they chew through the paper. If you don't wet the edges they will haul it out for trash.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    ...as feeding 20 hives individualy would be time consuming,
    Doing anything to 20 colonies of bees is time consuming, but aren't you a beekeeper and don't you like working with your bees? Why use a management scheme that doesn't really provide what the bees need and is only a band-aid approach to a problem that could have been corrected in a better way and one more in tune with what the bees would do. Feed them 2:1 syrup until they have stored and ripened enough for winter. No colony since the beginning of time has found it necessary to have granulated sugar dumped on their heads. They store their winter feed in the comb...right where they need it. Keeping sugar on them only increases winter activity and in my area reduces wintering ability.

For success in the apiary, beekeepers must observe what the bees do, learn from them, and imitate from their examples.

Observe, learn, imitate..."Bees make better beekeepers than beekeepers make bees".

why not set out chicken waterers ,with rocks in the bottom to keep the bees from drowning,to allow the bees to forage until a flow starts?

Listen to Mike. He knows bees and knows how and when to let them be bees.

thanks to all for your responce, sorry for being away but iv been runing , when i said time consuming, i mean, bees arent my living, and there 20 miles from my home, i use chicken waters here at home,but 20 hives would take to many waterers, i bought 2 35 gal. barrels to mix sugar in, gona try that, this drought, even if it broke today the chances of a flow will be rare, the goldenrod is about 12 to 16 in tall, in bad shap, so how much water would you mix with 25 pounds of sugar.i love my bees, i love the smell of the inside of a hive when i lift a lid,

25lbs of water.

3.125 gallons? ...a pint's a pound all around.......