Wink Country Rubes and the robber bees

I sure hope my bees aren't dumb enough to try to get to sugar water that dripped thru the hive, thru the sbb, onto my sticky board in my Country Rubes combo. Because there are about 20 dead bees stuck in that oil right now, and I just cleaned the sticky board and put on new oil last night. Seem to be running out of pests. Do I have any new ones to look forward to?

Gypsi

Default Re: Country Rubes and the robber bees

Main problem appears to be finding the leak of syrup and Stopping it !!

PCM

Leaking syrup this time of year leads to robbing. Robbing is no joke!
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

too many thumb tack holes in the feeder lid? I bought a spare, just in case. Will change it after dark.
    At least no HBH in the leak this time, and the sticky may have stopped some of the robbing problem, those bees aren't returning to do the waggle dance.

Ok, a lid with only 6 thumbtack holes will still leak in the heat of the day, I'm pretty sure that is what is causing the small amount of sugar water leaked, and I still find maybe a teaspoon of leakage on the sticky board at night.
    The robber bees work their way into the sticky chamber under the sbb, and die of heat there. Yesterday 40. Today about 25.

I built a robber bee guard, but if for some horrible reason like fear of robbers my bees cannot find their way out of the hive, I will have dead bees. For today, I'm feeding 1:1 and HBH at the alternate site, where I have an old open super with a bottom board. Since robbers are unlikely to move in, I am unlikely to rush finishing the deep and telescoping lid. But I did refill that feeder tonight. My colony was quite weak before I started feeding. They need a few days of relief. I can afford the sugar.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Is the outside feeder getting a LOT of attention? Maybe we can walk you through moving it around a bit to pin point where the robbers are coming from so you can try to capture them... if your are going to have to feed them anyway, may as well get them in a hive so you can get something in return for your sugar donations. Lol.

The outside feeder is mobbed from dawn on. still bees on it at ten pm, an hour after dark, sleeping on and around it. Poor things are starving.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Ok, here is what you do... early as you can... watch that feeder... get low and watch for the flight path of the bees... you should see some going to your hive and others going in a different direction... get an idea of what direction the others are headed and let us know, so I can instruct you on the next step... folks here may really enjoy a real time feral tracking... lol.

soon as grandbaby goes down for her nap I'll camp out near the feeder for a while

I have bees coming and going from approx due south, and yesterday it was northwest. Multiple hives, whether feral or not. I think some were black (not all black, but more black/gray than black and yellow) and some looked like my bees the other day. Almost no bees from my hive at the yard feeder. They have a hive top feeder, so are mainly running to the pond for water, and back again. I only have the baby til this evening. Which means I can't follow these ladies home right now. But how do I do that?

It is quite possible that one feral hive is the swarm I lost in May. Didn't have a suit, or tools to deal with it.

You guys are all in your busy season: The honey harvest. I understand busy seasons. I work 7 days a week from about the first week of March until the temps hit 100. I will read some back threads and books, and work things out some how. Enjoy your honey.

Lol. I only get to post at all because I have this super phone that gives me access while I am traveling, resting, or otherwise not using both hands at once. ;-)

Ok, this may take a few days, but what you need to do is draw out a makeshift map of the area around you... draw the feeder and put dashes going in both directions that the bees were heading today... then move the feeder about 100 yards (if possible) in the center of the two directions... then tomorrow, see if you can determine which directions they are coming from then... mark those down on you map and tomorrow night you will move the feed another 100 yards, this time going directly towards one if the directions... then repeat that again until you either locate the hive or pass it completely... does that make sense? After you find the first one, go back to the first point and start after the second one...

My fancy phone throws me off too easy. Every time I came to the end of a line last night the phone threw me back to a menu to choose a website. Thank you so much for your time and help Russell. I did see a thread on triangulating the location of a hive a couple of weeks ago, and read it over, now that I see where you are going with this, I can see what to do.

I am dealing with City limits and small lots, but most of the lots are vacant. Thank goodness the bees aren't going over my paranoid neighbor's house. Thank you. Will try, probably won't post the live trail unless I really get stumped. You guys are busy. I'm a hobbyist who goes back to work when the weather breaks. So I have to solve/resolve the problem fairly quick, but have a fair amount of time for the next 5 days.

Thank you again
    Gypsi
    Last edited by Gypsi; 08-31-2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: phone kept throwing me out last night

A related question to Country Rubes. Have you found a mouse guard that fits as the conventional guards don't work. By the way I use a plastic top feeder which doesn't drip. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I sure hope my bees aren't dumb enough to try to get to sugar water that dripped thru the hive, thru the sbb, onto my sticky board in my Country Rubes combo. Because there are about 20 dead bees stuck in that oil right now, and I just cleaned the sticky board and put on new oil last night. Seem to be running out of pests. Do I have any new ones to look forward to?

Gypsi

Quote Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
    A related question to Country Rubes. Have you found a mouse guard that fits as the conventional guards don't work. By the way I use a plastic top feeder which doesn't drip. Works great.
    I changed the lid on my homemade top feeder, now it only drips when outdoor temps get over 100, and the plastic bucket just swells and expanding pressure is going to affect any flexible plastic. Glass is heavy. Rigid plastic means buying something. Losing maybe 1/2 teaspoon a day onto the sticky board. Bee expenses are being eyed at the moment.

Since I have never been through a winter with bees, I didn't know I needed a mouse guard. I will have to do a search to see what a mouse guard looks like for conventional. Might go to a wooden bottom board in the winter, I do get some rodent issues, and the feral cats don't hang out near the hive.